• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 start menu searching doesn't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I've got a problem with Windows 10 Pro where if I open the start menu and start typing (like the first few characters of an app), all I see is some very small moving shapes at the top of the start menu, but it won't find the app. The start menu can't even find control panel or other basic stuff like calculator etc. This is probably the most useful feature in Windows, and I'd go back to 8.1 if I can't get this working! The problem only just happened yesterday and worked fine before that.

It's not that my computer is too slow to search either, as my OS is on a SSD and resource usage is very low.

In the end I had to install ClassicShell, is there any way to get this working without using a third party start menu?

Last edited:
After the mandatory multi month testing the Windows 10 Start Menu, I have gone back to Classic Shell as well.

Reinstalling and making images has saved me until I could figure out Win 10 Start Menu problems such as the Right Click Start Button menu completely disappearing because this is where those menu items are kept
%APPDATA%\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\

and they get erased... randomly.

So I made a backup from one of these alternate locations and had to copy-paste it more than three times already:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

If you ever figure out the answer to your problem please post back in this thread.

Ultimately, I posted this when Microsoft first announced the return of the Start Menu: Permanent Solution is simple. A Microsoft version of Classic Shell where users can customize it to whatever they want it to be and this will permanently remove any and all complaints about the one of the top reasons for people not wanting to leave Windows 7.

Windows 10 Start Menu is better but it still lacks full customization options.

With Classic Shell, we don't have to worry about anything, we can make it be whatever we want it to be. And someone else can do it their way too. So why not just use Classic Shell and take advantage of everything else that's good on Windows 10...

Last edited:
Back