• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Biggest issue for me unresolved is moving the license as you update hardware. I think it was Vista I had to call every time I wiped a HD or upgraded a MoBo. I have a touch lappy that I will go from 8.1 to 10 but as a desktop replacement I doubt it will be. Win 7 for me is fine for the builds even though I understand that 10 has some DX updates. If all goes well on the lappy then maybe I chance the update on the gaming rig.

I would do the update from 7, support has already ended for mainstream on it.

I would do the update from 7, support has already ended for mainstream on it.
Still means it is a good OS :)

That said I'm considering Win 10 more.

Any word on disabling the forced automatic updates?

Last edited:
I thought that was XP that had ended, Vista that will end (or already ended?) this year, and 7 for another year or two.:confused:

Again, mainstream support for 7 has ended. Extended support is still available.

When someone posts that "support has ended", historically on the forums, people have incorrectly assumed that updates are no longer available. If people on overclockers incorrectly assume that, than you can imagine how and why almost everyone with less computer knowledge would too. Though technically correct, posting that "support has ended" without adding that updates are still available has caused confusion in every single thread I've seen on overclockers where that was posted. So the relevant part of "support" for most people here, the actual updates, have not ended and will not end for a long while.

• Updates for Windows 7 are available until 2020,
• Updates for Windows 8 are available until 2023
• (and even) Updates for Windows XP are available until 2019 but for Windows XP, this simple registry entry is required to be used in order to receive them until 2019:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

Available on July 29

Hello World: Windows 10 Available on July 29
June 1, 2015 by Terry Myerson

Today, I’m excited to share the availability date for Windows 10....

Get Ready for Windows 10

On July 29, you can get Windows 10 for PCs and tablets by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer, or on a new Windows 10 PC from your favorite retailer. If you purchase a new Windows 8.1 device between now and then, the Windows 10 upgrade will be available to you and many retail stores will upgrade your new device for you.

The Windows 10 upgrade is designed to be compatible with your current Windows device and applications*. We are hard at work to make this upgrade process a great experience. You can reserve your free Windows 10 upgrade now through a simple reservation process. Look for this icon in your system tray at the bottom of your screen, simply click on the icon, and then complete the reservation process. You can find more details on how this works at Windows.com.

W10.png

*Windows Offer Details

Windows 10 is a free upgrade, for a limited time, for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices (including devices you already own). It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page

Full details & links @ Windows Blog

I just got a pop up about upgrading to Windows 10 for free I am confused is this a one time upgrade I mean what happens if I don't like or do and something goes wrong along the way and I have to reinstall, do I have to install my Windows 7 first then lay Windows 10 over like the old days and then have limited activations ????

Attachments

• Win  10 Upgrade.jpg
    Win 10 Upgrade.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 87
I just got a pop up about upgrading to Windows 10 for free I am confused is this a one time upgrade I mean what happens if I don't like or do and something goes wrong along the way and I have to reinstall, do I have to install my Windows 7 first then lay Windows 10 over like the old days and then have limited activations ????

just be sure and make a backup of your drive before you upgrade if you dont like it, go back and reimage to your win7 install.

AngelfireUk83, you are installing an unfinished Beta operating system, which is for testing purposes only.
Windows 10 is not out or finished, do not install over working OS. It may not be a good idea to have a Beta testing version as you only/main operating system.

Microsoft: Windows 10 Home costs $119, Pro costs $199

The Redmond-based company has finally broken the silence and said that Windows 10 Home will be priced at $119 and Pro will set you back $199; to upgrade from Home to Pro, you will need to pony up $99.

The company issued the following statement to Neowin:

The easiest way to get Windows 10 is to upgrade for free. You may also purchase a copy of Windows 10 if you decide not to upgrade, or if you need to purchase a copy for other reasons like installing on a PC you built yourself. The suggested retail prices for Windows 10 in the U.S. are the same as Windows 8.1.

Windows 10 Home is an estimated retail price of $119. Windows 10 Pro is an estimated retail price of $199. And Windows 10 Pro Pack, which enables you to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, is an estimated retail price of $99. All these are available in stores or online.

Source

On May 30th, the web page referred to in the link "showed"

Release Date: 08/31/2015

Since Microsoft's official announcement on the matter, they have since updated said page.

Date.png

As of June 1st 7:15PM

Shouldn't MSDN / TechNet release date be significantly ahead of retail? What are the dates for MSDN / TechNet?

Microsoft usually leaves a month or two to prep the gold code for retail, this has to mean Release To Manufacturing version is due relatively shortly?

*Can't wait to test RTM!*

Shouldn't MSDN / TechNet release date be significantly ahead of retail? What are the dates for MSDN / TechNet?

Idk :shrug:

I'm just tracking "10" as i have a build coming up that i don't want anything on but Windows 10....That and i have a Windows phone (That qualifies for the update) as well as an Xbox One.

We have the date for PC now....I'm guessing Windows 10 mobile will be Sept/Oct and Xbox before Christmas :santa2:

:cheers:

anyone know if i do this windows 10 update from my windows 8.1, or my windows 7 pc, if my windows 8.1/windows 7 key's will still be valid?
already paid for those windows keys, want to make sure they are still going to be valid for use before i sign up for anything.

Technically it should be one or the other. You are getting a free upgrade by using legitimate Windows 7/8 keys to deactivate Windows 7/8 and activate Windows 10 in their place.

So technically, if you don't like Windows 10, you should be able to activate Windows 7/8 again after abandoning Windows 10, if you decide that.

If you have two keys, then the best way to go is to partition your SSD into relatively small partitions and install a dual boot... that way you simply reboot from Windows 10 to anything else... I'll be keeping Windows XP for that purpose but will be giving up Windows 8 to install Windows 10 over it... hopefully fresh install over it... the biggest question a lot of people have is still "can I fresh install instead of install Windows 7/8 first and only then update?".

- - - Updated - - -

Technically it should be one or the other. You are getting a free upgrade by using legitimate Windows 7/8 keys to deactivate Windows 7/8 and activate Windows 10 in their place instead.

So technically, if you don't like Windows 10, you should be able to activate Windows 7/8 instead of Windows 10 you abandoned...

If you have two keys, then the best way to go is to partition your SSD into relatively small partitions and install a dual boot... that way you simply reboot from Windows 10 to anything else... I'll be keeping Windows XP for that purpose but will be giving up Windows 8 to install Windows 10 over it... hopefully fresh install over it... the biggest question a lot of people have is "can I fresh install instead of install Windows 7/8 then update?".

Why is that question/answer not in FAQ's (and if it is, someone better post it in this thread). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back