• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ONE MONTH ONLY to go back or basically means, your key is good with your old OS for one month. Thought I'd share if it hasn't already.
After 1 month, Windows 10 deletes your old Windows 7/8 directory.
But what if you install Windows 7/8 again after 1 month passes from your Windows 7/8 installation media from scratch, what happens to your Windows 7/8 key then!?
They specifically said that Windows 10 deletes your old Windows 7/8 folder *to save space*.
Well that is not our question.

What happens to our Windows 7/8 key is our question - not what happens to our old Windows 7/8 directory which Windows 10 deletes after 1 month "to save space."
It's release day and the best answer we have about what happens to our Windows 7/8 keys on August 29 + 1 day is that Windows 10 will delete our old Windows 7/8 folder.
They said
1. Your Windows 7/8 will not be invalidated.
2. Your old Windows 7/8 folder will be deleted in 30 days.

So can we REINSTALL from SCRATCH our Windows 7/8 after 1 month + 1 day or not?

I keep getting the error "windows can't activate. Try again later" :rolleyes: I'm thinking the only reason is M$'s servers are getting hammered today.

Anyone else experience this scenario?

Windows 7 pro activated, without the windows updates to get windows 10 as an upgrade.
Downloaded windows 10 pro and burned to a dvd, launched the dvd from within windows 7 and upgraded.
Windows 10 says it is not activated.

After 1 month, Windows 10 deletes your old Windows 7/8 directory.
But what if you install Windows 7/8 again after 1 month passes from your Windows 7/8 installation media from scratch, what happens to your Windows 7/8 key then!?
They specifically said that Windows 10 deletes your old Windows 7/8 folder *to save space*.
Well that is not our question.

What happens to our Windows 7/8 key is our question - not what happens to our old Windows 7/8 directory which Windows 10 deletes after 1 month "to save space."
It's release day and the best answer we have about what happens to our Windows 7/8 keys on August 29 + 1 day is that Windows 10 will delete our old Windows 7/8 folder.
They said
1. Your Windows 7/8 will not be invalidated.
2. Your old Windows 7/8 folder will be deleted in 30 days.

So can we REINSTALL from SCRATCH our Windows 7/8 after 1 month + 1 day or not?

My assumption at least going by the MVP's statement was that the key will always be available. So if you wanted to wipe and install Windows 7 instead of 10 you can do it whenever. Just that the recovery/easy-fail-back will be gone after a month.

Janus67, that is exactly my interpretation too.
I was hoping someone somewhere will find a second confirmation of our assumption so we don't find out the hard way that we forfeited our Windows 7/8 keys after 1 month, especially if they are Windows 8 Professional with Media Center Retail keys. I bought mine at OfficeMax retail, I don't want to find out the hard way I can't go back to it after 30 days.

NOt sure if this is related to Win10 or not, but, anyone have trouble Chrome and battlelog in that it will not seem to get the plugin to work? It will DL, you see it execute, and then the browser still asks to DL the same thing. The only browser that can let me run it is FF (no IE/Edge).

I was hoping someone somewhere will find a second confirmation of our assumption so we don't find out the hard way that we forfeited our Windows 7/8 keys after 1 month, especially if they are Windows 8 Professional with Media Center Retail keys. I bought mine at OfficeMax retail, I don't want to find out the hard way I can't go back to it after 30 days.

Don't you have a spare key laying around to test with so you don't have to risk your daily driver? I'll understand if you feel constrained by the EULA, but that's probably the direction I'll be going. Seems like legitimate use to me

Source for that quote that I had forgotten to add. It is the 7th question from the bottom.

What still gets me is I keep hearing "Device". Upgrate to this device, or that device, etc. I'm getting silly worried again that my full version of Win 8 is going to get dumped like a red headed OEM and only be used on one MB. I know we saw the lists that you get transferred to the same equal but they keep using "Device" on every wording and its getting nerve wracking. lol

Is anyone else having issues with NVidia drivers, specifically opening NVCP? I just upgraded earlier, and so far I like what I see (I knew I would, but that's beside the point), but I can't confirm SLI settings, nor can I check on game specific settings that I had set in Win8.1. I have an image of my C drive from before the upgrade, so I'm going to try a clean install when I get home from work, and if I still have issues, I'll reimage my drive and wait a couple of weeks.

I keep getting the error "windows can't activate. Try again later" :rolleyes: I'm thinking the only reason is M$'s servers are getting hammered today.

Finally got it activated. I did the Upgrade from 8.1 to 10 method. Later on I'm going to do the full clean os install.

No issues yet. Pretty smooth.

Is anyone else having issues with NVidia drivers, specifically opening NVCP? I just upgraded earlier, and so far I like what I see (I knew I would, but that's beside the point), but I can't confirm SLI settings, nor can I check on game specific settings that I had set in Win8.1. I have an image of my C drive from before the upgrade, so I'm going to try a clean install when I get home from work, and if I still have issues, I'll reimage my drive and wait a couple of weeks.

For easy reference, NVidia's latest driver package for WinTen GForce

did the upgrade got tired of waiting for my turn so i found the iso burned it to usb upgraded, rode it around a bit and just got done with a fresh install I hate upgraded opsys with a passion from previous headaches. Now to re download my libraries lol its gonna be a long day.

Source for that quote that I had forgotten to add. It is the 7th question from the bottom.

What still gets me is I keep hearing "Device". Upgrate to this device, or that device, etc. I'm getting silly worried again that my full version of Win 8 is going to get dumped like a red headed OEM and only be used on one MB. I know we saw the lists that you get transferred to the same equal but they keep using "Device" on every wording and its getting nerve wracking. lol

In the past I've used windows OEM keys after a motherboard change by simply calling support and telling them my motherboard died, and I needed to buy a new one to replace it with, then they activated my windows for me.

I imagine that is mostly in generality for the majority of users that bought their PCs are big box stores/Dell/etc which would mean that it would be tied to the device. I don't think many people got 'Retail' OS installation from those places.

OK , I just plain don't like the implications of this. Won't need a product key for re-activation on the same hardware ? ? So all the necessary identifying information will already be stored and specifically accessible by M$ to validate the install automatically ?

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

How's that different from how it is now? When you migrate motherboards the system can tell and you have to call to activate to change the hardwareID code in their activation system.

You have to call them under those circumstances. How does Win 10 automatically handle that ? Your Win 7/8/8.1 product keys were the reference point for M$. Now the OS can check your hardware profile with M$' files without you having to do a thing-like actually authorize it or even initiate it.
If you do a clean install , the OS doesn't know from beans about your history. That means M$ allows the new OS access to personally identifiable information without you initiating the process. I have to wonder about the advisability of that.
Example: My HDD dies. I buy a new one , install it , and plan my OS reinstall for the weekend. My PC gets stolen before that. If the thief can just do a clean install without a product key , does he get 'a' copy of Win 10 or does M$ give him my copy , with information I don't want a thief to have. Or does M$ store enough personal data (without a product key for reference!) to keep the stolen rig from using the OS ? Best case scenario here ? M$ is nice and gives me the OK to install on my new hardware and the thief has a full , activated brand new OS. I don't count on best case scenarios. Too much experience with reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back