• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 very long loading times on a new PC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joeyll00

Hi,

Windows 10 has very long loading times(2-3 mins) at the loading screen (black background with blue window and rotating white dots), although I just got a new PC.

specs are:

ryzen 5 3600
msi x570 a-pro
8GB ddr4 2600
WD 1TB blue

I'm guessing there is not enough memory that's why its taking so long to load, what do you think?

I mean you are working off of a HDD, but it still shouldn't be 2-3 mins long. My suggestion, even though it isn't the issue, is to get an SSD for your OS...

New 'pc'... did you build this yourself or is it an HP or some other brand?

8GB is plenty of RAM for an OS to load and sit there. As you would see, you are likely sitting around 3GB after you boot (it uses less when booting). Is your RAM two sticks? While that isn't the issue either, you should be running dual channel for best results.

I've built the PC myself, got a case with a 700Watts thermaltake and bough the rest of the components on my own.

Is it literally 2-3 minutes or does it seem that way? I would imagine from a cold boot and a fresh OS, that shouldn't take but a minute or less to boot.

Look up the SMART info (CrystalDiskInfo) and see if it shows anything is bad on the drive.

Is the HDD new or from an older machine?

No literally 2m:41s, the hdd is from the old machine, it is good on crystaldiskinfo.

So it is an old WD Blue....

Is your copy of windows also from the old machine or did you complete a fresh installation? If not, I would certainly complete a fresh installation of Windows. Changing platforms mess with the install.

Welcome to the forums.
Having an operating system partition on a mechanical hard drive is like having a fancy PC box on a cart pulled by a donkey.

If you are using a mechanical hard drive, you would trade in a horse for a rocket ship if you did this:
My suggestion, even though it isn't the issue, is to get an SSD for your OS...

I use HDD's and it only takes me 30sec or less to boot up, do a fresh install of Windows to clear out any corrupted system files.

I agree with WhitehawkEQ. From scratch Windows install with deleting all current partitions. If Windows 10 is currently activated on the machine it will activate again without a problem. I would also make sure you have all current motherboard drivers installed for the board from MSI.

Back