• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 Server Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nemisys

Ok, if anyone has any ideas please let me know because I am currently stumped.

Here is the issue:

Whenever I try to view the properties of any Network Connection, Explorer Crashes.

Here are the specs:

This is a Dell Server, Dual 1GHz, SCSI drives. Two Onboard NIC's. Uplink is to a Cisco Catalyst 5000, to a low end Cisco Router (T1 Connec).

Operating System: Windows 2000 Server SP3
RAM: 2 gig

Here is what I am doing to cause the behavior:
Right Click "My Network Places" and select properties
Right Click either connection and select properties

Once I do this, it brings up the properties box but with any info (accept connection name at the top) and kinda greyed out, then hangs and then explorer crashes.

This issue began this morning after our office had some connectivity issues (ISP related).

Anyone have any ideas?

For more info; the Event Viewer only shows interface up or down information due to reboots, but does not seem to record any information about explorer crashing.

riip out the network cards, boot up, make sure device manager is clear of any signs of these. then switch off and reinstal those nics. see what happens then.

The part about "Two Onboard NIC's" kinda eliminates to possiblity of ripping out the NIC's. Trust me, I wish it were that easy.

The NIC itself is functioning, it is just a matter of I can't access it's properties. Appears to be more of an issue with the OS.

That's not an option. This is a production machine that can't currently be taken down. Also, disabling both onboard NIC's would require me to install another NIC card to have any networking capabilities which is also not an option and doesn't fix the problem so much as work around it.

I believe I have been able to tie the issue to the Broadcom drivers as there is a seperate applet for broadcom stats that reports that it can't see the NIC card. However, the Broadcom NIC is the only one enabled and is passing traffic.

So while the NIC is functioning, Broadcom's own software can't see it properly. So, I am willing to bet there is a corrupted file that the broadcom utility and the connection applet share.

I will be reinstalling the software when the rest of the office goes to lunch and will post the results (another hour or so).

As you stated in a previous post, you thought it was a problem with the OS. So you have to get the OS to realise it has not got network cards, unload the files for that, then reload them again...

By that, I mean remove/disable the cards, get the computer to unload network stuff, then reinstall the cards and the software afresh (yes thats a word).

ahh alright, I was getting stuck in the "disable them in the bios" part. I believe removing the cards from the OS and then reloading them is a better approach, but turns out I won't be able to down the machine til tomorrow morning. So, I will post the results and let you now how it goes.

If you install the MSLOOPBACK adapter, and then uninstall your other NICs, it will keep the netwrk bindings from collapsing. I had something very similar to what you have described happen to me on my testbed server (several times!). And that is how I fixed that problem. It turns out that the software I was running on the testbed was whacking the network connections. Don't know why but after much growling, snarling and whining, the developers fixed it.

DanFraser: Finally got to reboot and went through the reinstallation of drivers. Sure enough, worked like a champ. Thanks.

Now on to bigger and better problems.

Back