• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 7 black screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jos

hello folks

I just bought new WD 2TB HDD and installed it today. windows installed the drive with out any issue format and assign a drive letter. then after rebooting the system windows splash screen loads then instead of the desktop I get a black screen with just the mouse cusor and nothing else. cant launch the command prompt etc.

If I boot to safe mode it loads as it should with the HDD and everything working as it should.

If I remove the drive letter the oringal issue occurs but If i delete the drive my normal windows account loads as normal.

they system is running win 7 ultimate 64bit
MOBO Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
amd FX 8120 3.1 GHz
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 OC 3GB
Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory
Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series TX 850W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
boot drive: OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-120G Agility 3 120GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD
2nd HDD: Western Digital 2TB SATA 6Gbps Power Saving Internal Hard Drive OEM - Caviar Green

3RD one that issue started with same as above.

mmmm... sounds like a mb chipset driver issue (takin' a swing for the fences with that prediction)...

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your MB, SATA controller and HD, couldn't hurt to make sure your bios is the most recent one...

try that stuff first.

mmmm... sounds like a mb chipset driver issue (takin' a swing for the fences with that prediction)...

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your MB, SATA controller and HD, couldn't hurt to make sure your bios is the most recent one...

try that stuff first.

I running the latest bios version and the latest drivers provided by gigabyte.
the HDD drivers were auto installed by windows

on a chat with a friend he made it out it could be an issue with raid so I moved the drive to one of the standard sata ports to end up with the same issue.

then I also checked the bios and it had the following setting
onchip sata type and that set to native IDE with options to switch to raid or ahci.
so I guess it not a raid issue.

he also mentioned to the following
use these settings on your bois , Drive Xpert mode = normal , Sata Conf = enhanced Configure sata as IDE

but cant see them in my bios guess gigabyte using different names.

I guess it also worth mention the bios is using the default settings.

Wild guess here, the sata ports are numbered kinda weird but drives should still be in correct order. SSD should be in second slot from the bottom(0) with drive 2 in the bottom(1). Next drive is forth from the bottom(3) and so on. The should all be in AHCI mode.

Wild guess here, the sata ports are numbered kinda weird but drives should still be in correct order. SSD should be in second slot from the bottom(0) with drive 2 in the bottom(1). Next drive is forth from the bottom(3) and so on. The should all be in AHCI mode.

OK so i re arranged with in order by the numbering on the board got the same thing and when in ahci windows would not boot at all.

so switch it back to IDe. and reboot and back to black screen. at this point it was starting to annoying me so I left it on the black screen and head out to town for a few hours and came home to find the desktop had loaded. so I tried to reboot to see it loads this time and it is.

so it now seems to be back to normal. so with those changes and what ever happen when i was away it seem to sort it self out.

so thanks for the advice. still a pain tho as I like to know the cause and solution to issue which pop up and cause some head scratching to fix.

What do you mean by 'assign a drive letter'

I am thinking that perhaps in the boot manager there is a problem.

*EDIT

Ah sorry, I missed the last comment where you said it was working.. Nice!

What do you mean by 'assign a drive letter'

I am thinking that perhaps in the boot manager there is a problem.

*EDIT

Ah sorry, I missed the last comment where you said it was working.. Nice!

Ok

by that I meant after install and formatting the drive windows assigned G: to the drive

Back