• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 from working to not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I recently built a rig for the son of one of my colleagues.

The rig has been running 100% fine, but suddenly it started to boot windows, after the welcome screen, just a black screen with a curser on it.

You cannot move the curser. I have tried to do a system restore, and i got it to get into windows.

Every mouse/keyboard i plug into usb, it comes up and says looking for driver, then fails to install.

I managed to get an keyboard to work, but after a restart nothing works once more.

Now the system gets into windows every time, but no USB input devices will work, and nor will ps/2 keyboard.

What are my options? Its the same problem in safe mode (apart from it gets stuck at the black screen with curser) while normal windows can get all the way into the desktop.

If i could get around in the system, my first idea would be remove any and all motherboard drivers, and reinstall, be its just not possible.

Any ideas?

Specs:
I5 3570K
AsRock Extreme4-M
Samsung 840 SSD
Corsair CS600 PSU
Windows 7 Pro SP1

Have you try to update the mobo bios yet?
Sometime update the bio will fix a lot of thing, i got the same problem with a mouse and a USB flash drive but after i update the bio, everything work ok.

Back