• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 has lost its mind.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fgf80

This is a long list of problems.
First, when I start up my computer, it shuts down on a task-based system.

This is not to say "inactivity." For instance, I can wriggle the mouse and type, but unless I successfully log in within 60 seconds or so, it will restart the computer. Not like a killswitch; A systematic, full shutdown sequence. Logging in buys me about an hour, launching applications restarts the clock.

Speaking of clock, mine is off by varying numbers of hours and sometimes minutes. Time zone remains constant.

Also, my mouse has times when it is less responsive and if Windows Explorer dies, the Actual Multiple Monitors will launch its task bar ON TOP OF the original one.

Also, note: the only change around the time this started was installing the most recent version of Grub. I haven't even downloaded any executable files recently.

I didn't know what to call this; Windows 7 has simply lost its mind. Please help

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: CHDSK reveals no problems; running boot time scan with avast! now.

Last edited:
Try booting into safe mode. See what happens. If your good there go into msconfig (run -> msconfig) and select selective startup. Restart your pc and see if it still happens. If it still does its possibly a service that's starting on a delay. But follow my steps to diagnose. Sorry for spelling and the long wall of text I'm on my phone

Lol, I found that one of the guys here at work managed to get some nasty malware on his system, worked under safemode also. Wouldn't allow anything, couldn't even get to task manager. It called itself "windows defence council"

Anyways, upon going to safe mode I had it go straight to system restore instead of the windows interface and restored tot he previous Monday. Rebooted and all was sweet, kicked off a full av scan to kill off the remaining bits of the malware. All sweet ;)

Pretty easy fix.

http://trojan-killer.net/windows-defence-counsel-removed/

Try booting into safe mode. See what happens. If your good there go into msconfig (run -> msconfig) and select selective startup. Restart your pc and see if it still happens. If it still does its possibly a service that's starting on a delay. But follow my steps to diagnose. Sorry for spelling and the long wall of text I'm on my phone

There is a slight problem with that. Safe mode accelerates the "clock", giving me only about 5 or 10 seconds to type in my username and (approximately; never give away actual length) 15-character password.

I'm not having any of the other problems you listed, but my clock is constantly getting 4 hours ahead, and like you the time zone has not changed. I've disabled the Windows Time sinc and set it back to the correct time, which should hopefully correct it. My computer is coming up clean on all virus scans, and I haven't noticed any other issues.

EDIT: Just curious, what time zone are you in?

Sounds to me like a newer malware infection. These newer ones can infect just by visiting an infected site. I would start with Malwarebytes to see if that can clean it, sometimes it can't but can at least detect it. Keep us informed of what Malwarebytes finds so we can help some more.

Combofix and malewarebytes best team in the world ;)

Run combo fix makes sure there are no AV programs running when you do this. Let it do its thing it could take an hour or more depending on how bad your system is.

Once combofix is done run a full maleware bytes scan, after that you should be ok!

From what I understand 'combofix' is not a play thing. It can make the system un-usable and most do not know how to use its' recovery features.

We don't even know you have a trojan or virus. You need to run something that can try to tell you that you have a malware issue to begin with. HJT (hijackthis) might be able to run and see what it says is resident on your system. I don't use HJT to try and remove a virus or trojan since HJT does not remove the offending files as I understand it but only removes the Registry key that the virus runs from in general.

Get information on what to run to diagnose the presence of malware and then use the suggested procedure for its' removal is what I would suggest. OR format and RE-install which maybe where you find yourself when using some of these high-powered removal tools and there comes a problem.

Symptoms Of Computer Virus

Last edited:
I'm not having any of the other problems you listed, but my clock is constantly getting 4 hours ahead, and like you the time zone has not changed. I've disabled the Windows Time sinc and set it back to the correct time, which should hopefully correct it. My computer is coming up clean on all virus scans, and I haven't noticed any other issues.

Ok, even disabling the sinc didn't help, it's still 4 hours fast. What the crap?

In general:
CMOS keeps the time. Because it is understood that a battery gets weaker with age...windows adds time/gains time. Since Win XP there has been a time sync for windows provided by M$. That is one place to sync times. Possible that CmOs battery is weak.

IF a computer is in a real network it gets its' time from the server. If in a real network the Internet Time button should be grayed-out in the clock setting menu.

Various resource hogging applications can cause time-keeping issues or at least I am lead to believe this.

A failing oscillator on the mobo can cause time-keeping issues. This would mean a failing mobo. Lessening the overclock settings of the setup might point a finger at this type issue.

I found one hit with g00gle that did not say the same thing that 100's of other hits had already said. The link below hinted at a Win 7 64 bit bug that hit users now and again.

Help: Windows 7 System Clock is Running Fast

In general:
CMOS keeps the time. Because it is understood that a battery gets weaker with age...windows adds time/gains time. Since Win XP there has been a time sync for windows provided by M$. That is one place to sync times. Possible that CmOs battery is weak.

IF a computer is in a real network it gets its' time from the server. If in a real network the Internet Time button should be grayed-out in the clock setting menu.

Various resource hogging applications can cause time-keeping issues or at least I am lead to believe this.

A failing oscillator on the mobo can cause time-keeping issues. This would mean a failing mobo. Lessening the overclock settings of the setup might point a finger at this type issue.

I found one hit with g00gle that did not say the same thing that 100's of other hits had already said. The link below hinted at a Win 7 64 bit bug that hit users now and again.

Help: Windows 7 System Clock is Running Fast

I tried what was suggested in the link you posted, and it seems to have worked. It was only happening at boot, it would be 4 hours too fast. If I were to set it to the correct time it would still keep time correctly, but once I rebooted it would be 4 hours ahead again. Did what the link said and rebooted, and no problem this time, so maybe it's fixed. Thanks, RGone!

Hope so man. Thanks for replying back. I lookedd thru a 'lot' of posts trying to find something other than the average stuff the forums were all talking about. Luck may have been on our side. Hope it hangs good. RGone...ster.

Thank you all for your help.

I ran a scan with avast! from within a different OS (It appears to have patched the virus database in windows, as it updated every 10 minutes or so), and set it to delete anything it came across.

That eliminated the virus as I knew it before. All symptoms I listed are now gone.

However, my computer has been shutting down for the past 45 minutes.

If you examine the time difference, my last post was 45 minutes. It is still shutting down.

From what I understand 'combofix' is not a play thing. It can make the system un-usable and most do not know how to use its' recovery features.

We don't even know you have a trojan or virus. You need to run something that can try to tell you that you have a malware issue to begin with. HJT (hijackthis) might be able to run and see what it says is resident on your system. I don't use HJT to try and remove a virus or trojan since HJT does not remove the offending files as I understand it but only removes the Registry key that the virus runs from in general.

Get information on what to run to diagnose the presence of malware and then use the suggested procedure for its' removal is what I would suggest. OR format and RE-install which maybe where you find yourself when using some of these high-powered removal tools and there comes a problem.

Symptoms Of Computer Virus

I use combo fix on a daily bases. It has never left a system un-usable. As long as you let it run its course you will have no issues. If the OP wants his computer running normally I would highly recommend using it. He already explained that there was in fact a virus on the system.

my biased solution

Yep Combofix definitely ain't a play thing.... but IMHO ... if it's come to that tool... It's time to break out the usb stick and clean install.

All my personal data sits on a seperate drive.. clean installs down to 17 minutes - updates of course.

wish I could help ya but... some things just aren't worth the aggravation... i say go clean

Back