• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED windows 7 oem and upgrading motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pacothedagon

Registered
I have a motherboard that is 7 years old and i want to upgrade it but when i built my system i was short on money so i got the windows 7 sp1 oem 64bit os instead of the retail version which is $100 more. So my question is can i buy the retail version and install it on my hdd and switch out my mobo for a new one with out having problems or is there a different way i should go about this?

First of all, your OEM key will activate just fine on your new hardware. I'm not sure if the licensing specifics around an OEM key, you'd have to research to find out. Worst case scenario, you can call Microsoft, explain the situation, and they will provide you a new key most likely (at least, they did that in the past for me).

Second, if you ARE going to spend money on a new OS, don't re-buy 7, buy 8.1. And finally, don't install until after you've swapped your hardware round. It's not always required, but more often than not it causes issues if you try to swap hardware around on an existing Windows install.. especially coming from hardware that's 7 years old.

If I were to call Microsoft iv heard that they charge you to change the key and to talk on the phone with them is that true or no and iv had no experiance with windows 8.1 is it hard to get use too and will all my programs like nuke,zbrush, and maya work with it and from a gaming stand point will it prevent me from doing any of my gaming?

In the past, they've never charged me for getting a new key when I clearly explained to them that it was an OEM key and I was swapping out hardware... that's been many years ago, but I'm sure their policy is the same, though. Even if they do charge now, I doubt it's as expensive as buying a new retail key.

Windows 8.1 is not hard to get used to, all of your programs ought to work with it, and most games probably run better under it. If you absolutely must have your traditional start menu back, you can get an addon to accomplish that (ClassicShell or Start8). I never really used the start menu anyway, so it's no loss for me.

just install it... it will activate just fine worst case it will want you to call the automated service to activate it and its free

... don't re-buy 7, buy 8.1.

I probably would not have bothered to comment on this but a few minutes ago I just got done helping my wife resolve an issue with her 8.1 laptop and my frustration of not being able to simply accomplish various tasks with minimal keystrokes is simmering just under going thermonuclear. In my opinion I think one has to be nuts to choose 8.1 over 7. I was especially annoyed about not having a search field accessible with the start button to find stuff, not having a quick method (again with the start button) to restart, etc. W7 is not broken, is stable, works very well, and I am very familiar with it. W8 adds nothing at all useful - just the opposite. Why in the world would any intelligent person want to deal with a display of multicolored squares that looks like an electronic toy from Toys-R Us instead of just a few key icons on an elegantly clean desktop? Sure I was able to eventually get a clean W7 type desktop but why was I even presented with that psychedelic mess? Sorry, but I have tried off and on for quite some time now to adapt to 8/8.1 and it aint going to happen nor, at this point, do I want it to happen. Thanks for the rant - yes - I feel better.

Back