• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Professional Full Version $30

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i just got the professional upgrade version from the 741 site...i got an exe file that made another folder called expandedsetup. how do i put this on a disk and make it bootable...this is the full version isnt it?

ok i dled the AIK pack from microsoft and copied the files to expanded setup folder..burned and the dvd still is not bootable?

Also have to make sure you have a DVD drive as one of your boot options in your bios, listed before the hard drive with windows on it. Or if you have a newer motherboard, you can F8 during POST (not to be confused with after POST, which results in the safe mode screen) and choose to boot from DVD.

Anything special you had to do to burn to CD/DVD? Wonder if I could do an install from a USB key..

I don't plan to install Windows 7 until I rebuild my rig in a couple of weeks, but looking forward to trying out Win7, especially for 30 smackers!

I installed Win7 Pro via a USB flash drive onto my HTPC (which doesn't even have an optical drive). I was absolutely amazed at how fast it installed!

I installed Win7 Pro via a USB flash drive onto my HTPC (which doesn't even have an optical drive). I was absolutely amazed at how fast it installed!

Because you cheated and used a flash drive! I wanted to but I couldn't. My flash drive is only 2GB and you need at least a 4GB drive or bigger. :bang head

A couple posts above you...

What that entails though, I dont know.

your quoting the 741 deal.

i'm talking about phoning in for the full version, if there is any way arround the .edu address when calling in not the 741 deal the phone only deal

no one has said jack **** if they were able to work their way arround it on the phone

Did you follow the instructions in the link above? It worked fine for me.

yea i followed the instructions...the tool link from the instruction site does not work...i get page cannot be displayed...so i DLed the microsoft AIK pak moved the files together with the expanded folder files and burnt to dvd and rebooted hit esc to choose boot options, chose dvd, the booting from dvd screen pops up and then just goes straight into my current windows...so that tells me the disc is not bootable...so far i've made about 5 unbootable dvds

ok, i tried it again today..i got the file and it worked..how do you guys know this is the full version and not the upgrade? in my expanded setup folder it has a upgrade folder. doesnt that mean that its the upgrade version?

and the only option i had when i did boot up from the dvd was install now...i did not have a upgrade or custom option

I will confirm this but I thought everyone knew and thats why I didn't post it. I did the same thing except created my bootable disc with imgburn and I installed on a brand new fresh hard drive out of the package. NO problems at all. And btw it is VERY fast compared to my vista.
i ordered my copy from www.win741.com, the digital river deal.

i just tried it out and on a blank HDD this is my experience:

i followed the steps given previously to create a bootable DVD (i also purchased a backup DVD but i wanted to try it out first and not have to wait for the DVD)

started windows installation with "custom" option
install went fine until it asked me for the key
trying the key that digital river provided returned that the key was invalid
so i proceeded by leaving the key field blank
booted to the OS with "trial" status and 30 days left for activiation
tried to enter my key in the OS and it returned that the key can only be used for upgrading

so i put the disc back in and started the upgrade from within the OS
i selected the upgrade option this time
installation proceeded fine
when it asked for my key, i put it in and it acepted it this time

so all in all, you CAN install and activate the upgrade on a blank drive, but it takes more time than a fresh install. you cant just pop in the disc and get a full install on a blank drive in one shot. you have to either do the double install trick from vista (and now 7) or do a legit upgrade from another OS. either way it seems you have to start the upgrade from within an OS to get the key to work.

do you know how many copies on 741 you can buy? i went back to the confirmation email they sent me and it will let me order another one..takes me all the way to my credit card info and everything...has anyone here tried ordereing more then 1 copy?

or could you buy one from 741 and then call microsoft by phone and get it too?

Back