• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 ultimate problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peeker

In spite of having a new Motherboard (Asus m5a99fx) and a new processor (AMD FX-6300) Overclocked from 3.5ghz to 4.1ghz and what I was told is the best memory available (A data DDR3 2400) and a brand new video card (AMD Radeon R7 370 series) and windows 7 ultimate installed it still takes almost 5 mins for the system to boot and it still seems to me to be very slow when running software. Now this sounds like a newbie type question but I am a computer tech (MCP & CompTia a+ cert) can someone please give me an idea what exactly went wrong here??

:welcome:

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory <- from the motherboard website

Try lowering your RAM to 2133 or 1866 and double check timings. Are you using a HDD or SSD ? are you running it in AHCI or IDE ? can you make a more detailed list of your hardware or post a pic of CPU-Z, something like the one below ?

Temp.jpg

:welcome:

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory <- from the motherboard website

Try lowering your RAM to 2133 or 1866 and double check timings. Are you using a HDD or SSD ? are you running it in AHCI or IDE ? can you make a more detailed list of your hardware or post a pic of CPU-Z, something like the one below ?

View attachment 196743
Currently upon boot the ram is running at 1866, timings are set according to manufactures set up, HDD in ahci mode can you tell me how to do the cpuz screenshot? thanks for your interest.

Peeker

Open four instances of CPU-Z, arranged like Kenrou's, and use the Windows Snipping Tool to capture the image. Then use the Manage Attachments feature to upload when posting.

Open four instances of CPU-Z, arranged like Kenrou's, and use the Windows Snipping Tool to capture the image. Then use the Manage Attachments feature to upload when posting.
Unfortunatly about a year ago I did something stupid, I deleted the snipping tool because I had no use for it and I will have to re-install windows to get it back (something I was trying not to have to do) meanwhile I will continue to search the web for it. as far as the hardware list goes see next paragraph
Asus m5a99fx motherboard
Fx-6300 processor
radeon r7 370 graphics card w/4mg ram
a data 2400 ram 16gb
Seagate 2tb hard drive
Western digital 1tb HD
Asus Blu ray recorder
Asus DVD-r drive
Window 7 Ultimate
I don't know if you want or need the external equipment or not but if you do then please let me know.

Did you try Advanced Options (f8) on start up and run Startup Repair? I would try that after sfc /scannow in an elevated cmd. prompt. I had an almost identical system and boot times were not bad at all. Also, type msconfig.exe in the search box and check start up programs, unchecking almost everything not Microsoft or audio and display drivers. A lot of software likes to inject itself in to the Startup folder at install. For example, I had several Logitech .exe bits that thought they should start with Windows in case I used the camera. (Probably NSA, LOL)

This just a partial list of "Startup" annoyances I grabbed from CCleaner. I disabled all but three.
start up.JPG

Does not hitting the "Print Screen" key and pasting the result in Paint also not work anymore? Paint has a built in cropping tool, and will allow you to save the result in jpg format.

You say you have a new motherboard. Did you do a fresh, clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate when you installed the new motherboard? If not, you need to do that. And you need to check the health of your hard drive with CrystalDiskInfo since it sounds like the hard drive might be a reused older component.

you do a fresh, clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate when you installed the new motherboard?

Good catch. And doing a clean install on a 120-128 GB 2.5" SSD (Under $50!) would be like a magic trick for boot and run times for the OS and programs. I store downloads, pics, videos, documents, and all manner of things on a 4 TB HDD and keep my OS, programs and games on my SSD-and games are unnecessary as load times are the only advantage there.

Back