• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 vs Windows 8, What to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckyTHR

Hi guys

I was just wondering which is better? Win 7 or Win 8?

At the moment I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my desktop and Windows 8.1 On my laptop (has touch screen so win 8 works nice on it)

But what is better at the end of the day? For gaming and video/animation rendering.

Assuming you don't have application or driver compatibility issues with 8.1 is likely the better OS. With the addition of classic shell, it gets rid of the metro UI that can be pretty devisive

Where 8.1 shines is if you have a touch screen, i.e you are using it on a tablet or phone. I still use windows 7 on my desktop, but I have a tablet with windows 8.1 that is starting to grow on me. Looking forward to windows 10.

In terms of gaming win 7 offers better compatibility, seen some complains in steam forums that older games don't work well with win 8.

I honestly prefer 8 to 7, superior os and as others have said classic shell hides the metro interface so that you never see it unless you actually want to. Also you can get Win8 super cheap, their is a website that a lot of us buy games from it is legit keys and all. I payed $40 or so for 8.1 64bit...Just used the windows tool to make the iso that I put on a usb thumb drive. I'd give the website but not sure if it's against the rules, I don't think so but I don't want to get in trouble at either rate. PM me for questions.

Back