• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.0 Store will not load.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
Hi guys. Trying to fix a friend's PC. The PC is an HP Envy 20.

They recently did a factory reset on the PC after a failed attempt to update to WIndows 8.1.

I was not the one who helped them setup the PC again with their username, etc.

The main problem is that Windows Metro generally thinks it is not connected to the internet. However, Google Chrome and IE load webpages just fine. Skype works, etc. MS Store app DOES NOT work. I ran windows updates and according to it is up to date. Last update it installed was a C++ VS 2008 SP1 runtime update.

I have googled this problem extensively and a lot of the advice is from 2012. I followed the advice and still no connectivity to the App Store. I've reset the cache, reset proxy settings, etc.

Another attempt to figure out this problem was when I try to add my MS account. However, I cannot add my MS account because MS Metro thinks it is not connected to the internet - so maybe even Windows update is not connected at all.

Any ideas?

Did some more research and found a powershell command. Will try that when I get home.

Probably not your culprit but mine was that I was logged into Windows 8 under a real Administrator account and not an account with Administrator privileges (there is a difference, one of which is real Admin account can't run Metro apps).

I'll have to double check. Under the account Win8 was set up in, it showed it was an Administrator, not a Standard account.

I tried to add my account, but it would not let me setup a new user with an email because it cannot connect to the Internet... It's just weird.

Another symptom is that IE from the Metro grid will think it's not connected, but IE from the desktop will load pages.

Really weird.

Whenever installing Windows 8,

* Physically disconnect Internet connection cables to avoid being prompted to setup unnecessary Microsoft Accounts and so that nothing interferes with custom setup.

If you did not disconnect your internet connection when setting up Windows 8, you will have to look for a tiny microscopic link at the bottom: Sign in without a Microsoft account then select Local Account.

It has been hidden there so that people think they have to sign in with a MS account. They do not have to.

Connect internet only when finally activating Windows 8 at the end of installation.

Well this is a pre-built PC from HP and was given to me after they did a factory reset.

The user account is setup with MS already. I don't have the media to do a clean install from scratch, only the recovery data that is on a separate partition.

Got you. Something is very wrong if you cannot do that after recovering your partition and resetting the machine back to factory settings. It should be handled by them if you can't do this after a factory reset.

I think you can pull the key out of the OS, download a copy of Win8 (matching your level and bit), and make a bootable USB with the ISO then just install.

If you did not disconnect your internet connection when setting up Windows 8, you will have to look for a tiny microscopic link at the bottom: Sign in without a Microsoft account then select Local Account.
Yeah, that is one of the biggest PITA ever just installing it.

The first time I did it really PO'd me.

I just did a bare-bottom factory reset (as if the computer is going to be re-sold) via the HP UEFI. I did it over night since it was going to do a full format of the C: partition.

What I have found out is that upon the very first setup when she first bought this, which was a year ago, her road runner email was not linked as an MS account, this was why the PC never took her Win8 user down to "standard" level from an Administrator level. Since she was the only user on the PC, this prevented Windows (since you were logged in only as her) from creating a new user with an MS account, such as myself in order to finally access the store.

Anyway, after resetting the PC, I was able to get her up and running now that this time around her roadrunner email was linked to an MS account. She can now access the store, add other users, etc. plus a barrage of other things seem to work much better.

I tried to convince her to try again in upgrading to Windows 8.1 as that takes care of many issues, but she was adamant about not having it.

So there was no "Sign in without a Microsoft account then select Local Account."?

It has been hidden there so that people think they have to sign in with a MS account. They do not have to.

Connect internet only when finally activating Windows 8 at the end of installation.

So there was no "Sign in without a Microsoft account then select Local Account."?

During the initial setup after I reset the PC OR before I reset the PC?

Before I reset the PC I would try and create a new user. In that window it recommended to use an MS account, which I tried to do, but Windows thought I wasn't connected to the Internet so it only allowed me to create a local account.

During the initial setup it asked me to create a user with a MS account but it also gave me the option of set it up without an MS account.

Maybe someone can post why using an MS account at initial setup is beneficial, I suppose I was just going by gut instinct of this being a future problem as far as limiting yourself to a MS account instead of just using a (carefully hidden by Microsoft) local.

I think MS has set it up to where you HAVE to link your email to MS to create an MS account for Windows 8. Windows 8.1 is more lenient than Windows 8.0.

I'm also guessing that the reason her PC locked up during the upgrade to Windows 8.1 is because of the way the PC was originally setup, as a non-MS account with Full Administrator rights.

I am still on 8.0.

Mine is retail though. Not sure what you mean by "have to" since you yourself confirmed that initially you don't and that's all I was saying.
...During the initial setup it asked me to create a user with a MS account but it also gave me the option of set it up without an MS account.

Yes, but I've read that setting it up without an MS account can cause problems with metro apps in Windows 8.0.

Back