• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.1 Preview is here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Windows 8.1—a free update to Windows 8—is coming later this year, and a prerelease version is available now for you to try. Windows 8.1 has new ways for you to personalize your PC and includes a wave of awesome new apps and services.

This preview is mainly for experienced PC users, so if you're not sure whether it’s right for you, read the FAQ.

ISO files are available here

Windows 8.1 Preview: FAQ

Source

Last edited:
Might as well install this next time I run Windows. I bet it is pretty much completely rusty now, it's been a couple months since I even toggled gummiboot's menu.

Do any of you think the "Windows Store" and "Tiles" will go nowhere on the desktop? After I install Windows 8 the first thing I do is remove all those Windows Store apps. They're just grossly unnecessary for a desktop computer imo.

Its nice and glossy for i-pads and Tablets, but naah for desktops, still i hear problems now with Haswell with Win8!! :eh?::chair:

EDIT: Looking on Google txus, can not find what i saw the other day. But what i did see was people who have purchased some of the new Haswell Motherboards having problems to get them to work with Win 8 on Driver issues! Now whether this down to inexperience of the owner or problems with the new kit not being compatible i don't really know at this point. Maybe a Bios up date would resolve some of the points at a later stage. But for now just take my own personnel view as i don't really care for Win 8 regards. AJ. :shrug: ;)

Last edited:
ok install is straight forward but weird thing is after I got in all of a sudden it sent emails to my contacts. I got bombarded by emails saying it couldnt deliver to some address lol looks like a bug

Well i think SIN just put into a nut shell enough said. AJ. :rolleyes: :eh?:

Very Buggy still even after this up date!

Last edited:
yeah its lame lol but does offer a tad bit more comfort but I'm still looking into why after it installed it started emailing my contacts. I went into my sent folder and every sent email was different.

it should take you to the sore where it will do the upgrade for you but theres reports its off atm.

yeah buggy i want to un-install it lol but guess what .....theres no option :( looks like I may be reinstalling tonight lol. Will teach me not to jump on new releases

This thing will mess up your multi-boot.
Cannot be installed under the real Admin account only under Acct with Admin privileges obviously (I created one but still it could not complete the install.)

Boot CD to the rescue reimaging my boot partition and my old Windows 8 partition. Will try again, would love to see if they really did not offer a straight to Desktop Start Menu option. That would be pretty unbelievable. If there was nothing other than that, it would have been enough for people to accept Win8.

They put the start button back on the task bar to give you hope... Still takes you to the tiles Lol

Do any of you think the "Windows Store" and "Tiles" will go nowhere on the desktop? After I install Windows 8 the first thing I do is remove all those Windows Store apps. They're just grossly unnecessary for a desktop computer imo.

But Windows Desktop Gadgets were a huge hit! Oh wait... :rolleyes:

I freaking love my desktop gadgets they don't take up a load of RAM or CPU and they actually perform a purpose , it doesn't matter if they were a huge hit, you don't have to remove everything that doesn't get massive praise.

Windows Store apps are really just watered down versions of desktop apps, like Photoshop Express or whatever nonsense they stuck on the Windows Store.

It seems a lot of ppl on Win 8 Pro x64 are having problems upgrading to Win 8.1 Preview through the Store. Me included. Waiting for iso.

well its been a long night for me lol. After installing the update as I mentioned earlier my yahoo account started spamming my contacts. I dont know if it is related to the 8.1 update but I keep a clean machine and that was the only change prior to the spams going out. Anywho Yahoo noticed the extra activity and locked down my account. Asking me to verify myself lol as it didn't recognize the computer I was on (funny its the same one I've been using all year) anywho since I set this account up eon's ago I did not remember which spouse I used when setting up the secret questions and that got me another lock out lol. No issue I had them send a verification code to my secondary email (the one I use here) and guess what yup I cant recall the password yet another lockout (actually I think I put it in correctly) now for the kicker de joir TWC's email router for San Antonio goes down as well. After a few mins (exaggeration) on with TSS we discovered the issue with the servers and she suggests I try using an ipad or other device I was like OK I have an iphone but its on the same network as my comps. Long story shortened I finally turned off wifi and went with my LTE and got in and back in control. Again I'm not sure if its related or not to the 8.1 update but it happened right after I got back into windows post install reboots. Debating if I want to just do a clean install and get back to just plain old boring win 8

Back