• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.1 Preview is here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ironically, I am reformatting a user's computer right now that was crippled by a virus. I forgot I installed Classic Shell on it 2.5 years ago when we transitioned from XP to 7. She's a picky one and I remember having to do all kinds of little things to mimic Windows XP to keep her off my back. Hopefully Classic Shell is all I need this time.

For Start Menu, yes. And if she was Windows Explorer buttons, just let me know if you want these, they work with Classic Shell Classic Explorer option on Windows 8:

Toolbar.png

I mean im probably being overly critical, and i dont wanna take away from someones custom work

:D The only thing custom there was the Windows XP button which was created to be the exact replica of the original. The menu itself is nothing but Windows XP old menu. 99% of Classic Shell users would never choose that on their Windows 8. Most go with something similar to your Start Menu on Windows 8 ;).

For Start Menu, yes. And if she was Windows Explorer buttons, just let me know if you want these, they work with Classic Shell Classic Explorer option on Windows 8:

View attachment 129470

:D The only thing custom there was the Windows XP button which was created to be the exact replica of the original. The menu itself is nothing but Windows XP old menu. 99% of Classic Shell users would never choose that on their Windows 8. Most go with something similar to your Start Menu on Windows 8 ;).

ok so you chose an XP mimic rather than a 7. that makes sense, I can live with that. realistically I could probably live with 8 if i was always on the desktop with the start menu and no metro. I dont even care if its W8 menu, as long as its similar and doesnt look like XP lol

That is *exactly* what Classic Shell gives you.
I just happened to have chosen Windows XP replicas but most people, of course, select Windows 7-looking Windows 8.

There is no difference when you boot into Win7 or Win8 if you install Classic Shell. It takes you to Windows 7-looking Desktop with Windows 7-looking Start Menu.

You never have to see Metro. It's accessible with a single click which you never have to make if you don't want to. If this was available as a native option - nobody would go with Windows 7 any more. But it isn't and so you have to install Classic Shell. And people don't know how to do it or, for some strange reason, refuse to. And they go with Windows 7, justifying it with compatibility reasons. Even though chances are excellent that everything you use on Windows 7, still works on Windows 8.

I've grown so used to the tiles using the start menu is strange to me.

Excellent. You are in luck because then you will not need to mess with Classic Shell. Vast majority of users however would opt to boot directly into Desktop with an *option* to go to Tiles.

Not the other way around. They don't want the option for Desktop. They want to boot into Desktop (with Start Menu) and then go to Metro from there if necessary. Average users definitely feel that way judging by the number of Windows 8 computer returns and subsequent purchases of Windows 7 computers, because folks don't know about the Classic Shell option whioch would have turned their Windows 8 computers into Windows 7 for free and in less than 30 seconds.

Here's my quick take on Windows 8.1 Preview.

I thought I'd try out the Enterprise version so I downloaded the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I installed the 32-bit version on my Home Server and the 64-bit version on my main rig in a dual-boot configuration. Haven't had time to play with the 64-bit version so all this is based on the 32-bit Home Server.

1. It seems that no matter what version you download you still get Windows 8.1 Pro Preview.

s7s.png

2. Even though I tried to upgrade the Home Server (formerly on Win 8), instead of a fresh install, all my installed apps were wiped out.

3. You must have a M$ mail account like Hotmail or Outlook to complete installation.

4. I couldn't get the File-Zilla FTP Server to work like in my old Win 8 installation. This could be User error but I'm not going to waste my time here.

5. Getting the charm on the right side of the screen to open up takes a little finesse. I think this is the same for the old Win 8.

In the end I just restored a system image of the Home Server I made yesterday. But I'll be playing with the 64-bit version on my main rig to try and get to know it better.

It is kind of hidden, but you select to not install with email account.

In my experience (January - March), Windows 8 is a great OS. The UI is annoying, but tweaks like ClassicShell make it perfectly livable. It's faster than Windows 7 and looks better doing it for the most part. Setup takes a little longer because you have to "tweak out" the stuff that annoys you. I tried to give the Metro Start as long as I could. I looked at as just a giant, full screen Start Menu, but even coming at it like that I eventually ditched it for ClassicShell.

ClassicShell IS extremely customizable. Qlix, it won't look EXACTLY like that, but all those options can be there if you want them. I found ClassicShell to be a touch buggy when I used it, but perhaps it's gotten better in the meantime. Not major bugs, just times when it would be unresponsive, etc. Just annoying enough that I wouldn't recomend it automatically.

ALSO, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT: Microsoft has officially noted that if you install the 8.1 preview, you will NOT be able to upgrade to RTM/final version and take your applications or settings with you. All your applications will need to be re-installed when you go to the release version. I'm not sure if that's Metro only, or all applications. Either way, it's a bit of a pain in the butt. All files will apparently be retained.

OK I've downloaded the .iso. Can I do a fresh install like any other widows preview? I'm planning on deleting my old Win8 VM and building a Win8.1 VM in its place.

BTW as far as Window OS go, I like Win7 the best with XP a close 2nd. W2k wasn't too bad either as it did everything 98SE did and did it better.

Is the iso bigger/roughly the same size as your Win8 iso, or much smaller in size? I got my 8.1 from the Windows Store, I think it was ~600MB worth of download.

The reason I ask is that the iso might simply be the 8.1 update, not a complete build, but I'm not entirely certain either way.

At 3.49GB for the WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-64bit-English-X1899605.iso, it appears to be complete. However, note that this preview is buggy. This is a buggy Beta for testing purposes. I would think twice before using this instead of original Windows 8, I would wait for 8.1 to be ironed out.

This is more like for temporarily trying it after installing it over your existing Windows 8 partition then if things don't work, have that boot CD ready to reimage your original Windows 8 back. A lot of people could not even complete the installation process, let alone see how stable everything else is. I couldn't complete the install myself and had to reimage back to Windows 8. If you have a multi-boot, you can forget about the mult-boot settings surviving - you will need a boot CD/USB to get back in business should things go bad.

With no Start Menu to examine, with Start Button being a Start Button for Metro (!) [the Start Button actually takes you away from Desktop right back into the jaws of Metro], I figure why bother with this unstable Beta before it's ready?

If they (MS) keep this up, they'll drive the business away from windows. Linux may be more hassle for the average user to install, but if Win8/8.1 are even worse of an experience, they'll just go with iOS/Android tablets and call it a day.

Maybe killing off the PC is part of the MS master plan.

The one thing I am not sure about and if someone can clear this up:

They said that 8.1 is about correcting missteps of 8, and to attract businesses to take up Win8, etc. What "corrections" are they talking about when the one thing that upset people the most is still missing: an option just an option to boot into Desktop with Desktop Start Button?

I mean can you imagine what people will do when they find out that the Start Button is not a Start Button, it's a devious trap that takes you right back to the very Metro screen you are trying to avoid? I know there will be features added, but specifically, what correction that supposedly kept businesses away has been corrected and now, a business man, using his computer for business will say "Ah, that's better, now we can go with Windows 8!"

It can be pretty annoying first jumping through circus hoops to get charms to appear. Then going through several more steps just to get to a place with an option to finally reboot/shut down your machine. That's crazy, why would anyone want to go through that every... single... time, unless they never reboot/shut down their machine.

Given a choice today, more than 50% of people would choose to boot into Desktop, not boot into Metro. By definition, therefore, the majority of people would choose to do that. Nobody's talking about taking down Metro, leave it be. Just give us the OPTION to boot into Desktop + Desktop Start Button.

Last edited:
See, I don't find the Metro Start to be so terrible. The only things that it's missing for me from an efficiency standpoint are as follows:

1. Quick links to standard Windows locations such as "Downloads", "Pictures", "Music", etc.
2. The ability to put desktop applications first or perhaps hide Metro apps altogether.

Give me those two things, maybe make the transition from desktop to Start Screen a bit faster (I don't need the "flip" animation, thanks) and I'd deal with it just like I deal the stupid Gnome 3/Unity GUI. It's closer to being useful than a lot of people give it credit for, the problem is, MS seems to stubborn to make the small changes that would make easy for desktop users to not only use it, but maybe even like it.

Fact is though, if the only reason you think Windows 8 "sucks" is because of Metro and the new Start Screen, it's easy peasy to avoid entirely, so you're missing out on some really nice and substantial kernel improvements. My C2Q feels much snappier when I use Windows 8 than when I'm on Windows 7.

Back on topic - those of you having trouble with the ISO, try installing Windows 8 and getting the preview via the Windows Store. When I did that I had exactly zero issues with the install. The only bug I've had so far is that my desktop background refuses to stay set to black, it keeps changing to dark gray for some weird reason.

My C2Q feels much snappier when I use Windows 8 than when I'm on Windows 7.

Having both Windows 7 and 8 on the same SSD installed with same programs on it for direct comparison, I completely agree.

Here's my question: You are an experienced user, why did you compare Windows 7 to Windows 8 like that when in less than 30 seconds Windows 8's interface can be turned into Windows 7-looking interface though Classic Shell AND you get things to be exactly as you say and I agree.

In other words, why do people, even computer-literate people, talk "selecting Windows 7", or "Windows 7 being their favorite" when through Classic Shell freeware, everyone would get Windows 8 advantages, AND not have to give anything up because the interface through Classic Shell BECOMES Windows 7's interface.

Well, me personally, I wanted to be sure that I wasn't avoiding the Start Screen just because it was new and different. There are people still using XP's Start Menu because Vista/7's new menu was too much for them. I think those people are bonkers and never gave the new menu a proper chance. I wanted to be sure I gave 8's "new stuff" a proper chance to win me over before I tossed it out.

In the end, what made me toss it out and go back to 7 was a botched driver install and not being able to get to any sort of Safe Mode to fix it.

In other words, your problem was user-specific not OS-specific.

You see, they made Windows 8 boot in faster by sometimes not fully shutting down. You needed a shortcut for full shut down. Only then could you have entered into BIOS, Safe Mode, etc.

I also gave Metro a chance when I bought Windows on the day of its release. It made me take extra steps to achieve what I could do quicker with Classic Shell.

Again, C2Q, so UEFI had nothing to do with it. I could enter BIOS just dandy, and I had also disabled "fast boot" so the system was doing a full shutdown every time. Normal driver update, Windows couldn't boot afterwards, and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it because Windows was too dumb to realize it couldn't boot and there was no way to get to advanced boot options. Believe me, I tried.

Back