• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.1 & XBMC Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Well my happiness was short lived with 8.1. Installed it yesterday because I was too excited to wait til I got a new larger SSD. Tried to network with my XBMC media server as I did with win7 and it didn't want to cooperate.

I tried everything in the book to no avail. I even formatted and reinstalled XBMC, reset all my network settings back and still no-go.

I got as far as my XBMC box see the media hardrive on my main, but that's about it. But to make matters worse my main doesn't see/recognize the XBMC server, so the network was only able to communicate partially between the 2 machines. What a effin' headache. :mad:

I went all over the net, XBMC forums to resolve the issue. Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue :bang head.

Back to win7 I go. What a waste :rolleyes:

Could always use xbmc for the local and plex for streaming (it's what I do with win7)

I tried xbmc on my main and run it to my big screen, but I had issues with sound.

What I'm trying to do is d/l to my main then move the files to my xbmc box. That way I don't have my main running when I want to watch movies/tv shows. I don't want to install an os to the xbmc box. I just want a dedicated xbmc box run my media to it and that's that. Unfortunately 8.1 is not allowing me to that like win7 did.

What I had before was d/l to my main then have the xbmc box pull the media to be able to watch. A pain as I had to have both machines running. But now it's all a clusterf*k.

Went back to Win7 and all is working as it should now. Can't understand why 8.1 would have networking issues like it did. Worse part is there seems to be no fix for the issue. Hopefully they'll have one down the road and then I'll reinstall. So for now I'll stick to win7.

Back