• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjw21a

Hey guys, I'm considering getting W8 Pro Upgrade for my media centre due to its fast boot times though I was wondering weather you can proceed with the install irrespective of whether you already have Windows installed, just as you could with the Windows 7 upgrade.

I'm not looking at doing anything dodgy, just hoping to save time and not need to install windows and them have to upgrade on my fresh SSD. ;)

I didn't see any real increase in cold boot times, just slightly, but not that noticeable on my laptop running a Seagate Momenuts XT hybrid drive. Perhaps 8 will recover faster from sleep than 7 but I
didn't try that out. 8 also doesn't come with Media Center. You have to get a key from Microsoft which is free for less than a month now, and has to be activated before Jan or you'll have to buy a key from them.

I didn't see any real increase in cold boot times, just slightly, but not that noticeable on my laptop running a Seagate Momenuts XT hybrid drive. Perhaps 8 will recover faster from sleep than 7 but I
didn't try that out. 8 also doesn't come with Media Center. You have to get a key from Microsoft which is free for less than a month now, and has to be activated before Jan or you'll have to buy a key from them.

I use MCE, but rather. XBMC instead. I know I tried the consumer release on a dodgy old notebook and I got close to SSD boot speeds with it.

Hang 10? What does that mean? Is he surfing?

Anyway, I see no problems with moving to W8 personally. Im not making the jump, but it isnt because it has 'bugs', in fact, in my limited use of it this past weekend, I found it to be quite stable on my setup. Ajay have you used it? What bugs have you run in to that you speak of?

As far as installation, Im not sure I understand your question. Are you saying buy the upgrade and do a full install? If so, the answer is still yes last I read. But not sure of the process. I googled for you and came up with these results to help. :)

Hang 10? What does that mean? Is he surfing?

Anyway, I see no problems with moving to W8 personally. Im not making the jump, but it isnt because it has 'bugs', in fact, in my limited use of it this past weekend, I found it to be quite stable on my setup. Ajay have you used it? What bugs have you run in to that you speak of?

As far as installation, Im not sure I understand your question. Are you saying buy the upgrade and do a full install? If so, the answer is still yes last I read. But not sure of the process. I googled for you and came up with these results to help. :)

Hang Ten Bro?

Hey Buddy i would hang ten with Win 8 its still got some bugs at the moment and give it 6 months or so! As far as the bugs thing just a general observation and yes i could be wrong ED. AJ. ;)

1, http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page2.html

In the mean time try to read this Buddy! :thup:

The guy from OZ ED, It means wait awhile do not jump in etc LOL!

p.s. Whats with the double post??

Last edited:
Well, ended up running Win 8 on my main rig, got to get round to installing the second copy I bought on my HTPC. It does appear to be a smoother/faster experience all around than Win 7 was. I'm not a huge fan of the tile thing though I tend to go straight to the desktop anyway. System settings appear to be easier to access than in the past too.

My only real gripe is that the metro/start menu replacement only scrolls sideways whereas a mouse only scrolls up or down..... They didn't really think that out when designing the interface I think. Overall though, I think its a clean break from the past, though better overall for desktops than tablets.

Don't you mean the opposite, that Metro interface is better for tablets than Desktops?

[+ Just a reminder that Classic Shell freeware allows you to disable Metro and restore Desktop + Start Menu to give you a WIn7-looking Windows 8.]

Yeah, its what I meant. All in all though, I can live with it.

Back