• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coreyoliseffect

Maybe I am crazy or have forgotten how to use Google to find isos but I am having the hardest time finding a legitimate copy of the Windows 8 iso.

Scenario: Got a new laptop. Switched HDD for SSD. No install disc, not surprised.

I have tried using the Microsoft download wizard. It claims that the key is not valid. I would hope that it is seeing as it is coming direectly from the bottom of the brand new Lenovo laptop.

Does anyone know whre you can download the Windows 8 iso that requires the key? I do not want a cracked, hacked or other version.

Sorry if this is a common question. I promise I used the search. :D

Download laptop manual to see how to restore Windows from a hidden partition on the laptop.

The key is probably specific to the version of Windows found on Laptop, Lenovo version, not retail version.

If for whatever reason the hidden partition is damaged, Lenovo may charge you to reinstall, not sure if this is covered by standard 1y warranty?

They asked me at Office Depot if I wanted them to make me backup discs since Laptops do not come with any labels for Windows keys any more or discs of any kind, I said no but made a backup of all partitions before booting into Windows for the first time. I think there were four hidden partitions. Had to disable secure boot, switch away from UEFI to make backups.

Good thing I did because somehow when trying to restore from hidden partition the process erased the entire partition table. I had to format the hard drive to GPT then reinstall all five partitions, then switch back to UEFI to be back in business. I recommend making a manual backup of any laptop you buy, for when the hard drive fails and it will some day.

Last edited:
You might try this. Put your hard drive back in. Open Win 8. Create a recovery DVD set. Put the SSD back in. Use the recovery set to image your SSD.

I downloaded my copy using Windows 8 Upgrade assistant then I bought a used copy of Windows 8 off ebay for 14.00 (with the key missing or activated by someone else) for a backup copy.

I tried the key I got though email it works in the retail pro edition too.

Back