• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 interface questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I have only played with Windows 8 in the preview releases and with in store demo computers. That being said, the thing that is frustrating about Windows 8 is when I am trying to do something and I nor anybody else in the store knows how to do that thing. Many things in Windows 8 are hidden meaning that it requires a key combination or mouse gesture to pull off the action but what to do is not described anywhere.

It would be nice to have a thread describing such interface tips. However, without such a thread, I shall simply ask any questions that come to mind (and when I install Windows 8 later on a computer then I shall live on the desktop until I know what I am doing in the new interface).

First question I have... I launched an application (Netflix, etc) from the new interface but I wanted to close the application... or otherwise make it go away so I go back to the main interface. There is no X button to close the interface, I tried dragging down from the top of the screen (click and drag down) but it just made the application a bit smaller (what in the world?), and I tried clicking and dragging from all other areas (left, right, bottom) but it didn't do anything. I thought there was some sort of command bar that would appear that would allow you to do more things with the program but I never saw that either. I eventually just had to hit the Windows key to go back.

Is there a better way to switch away from that application or otherwise close it? Can you even close programs in the new interface?

Hold down win+tab or move the mouse in the lower left or upper left hand corner of the screen then drag up or down and it should show a list of the modern ui apps that are open. Right click the one you want to close and it will give you the option to close it. It's kind of frustrating at first.

The whole modern ui feels very disconnected from the desktop. I can watch netflix on the desktop version of google chrome, but I when I use the modern ui chrome I have to open netflix in a separate app which doesn't even work. It gives me some driver error.

i think i saw the only way to close something in metro is to alt+f4, or click and drag from the top ALL the way to where you mouse is at the bottom of the screen, other methods mentioned just hide it i think

Back