• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 uptake slower than Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I found this article quite interesting. It shows that, for whatever reason, adoption to the W8 platform/OS is slower than Vista.

By sticking to the program, Microsoft is following through on comments it's made previously, that it's in Windows 8 -- meaning the OS's assumption that touch is critical -- for the long haul, a line it's taken since the launch of Windows 8. The latest version of Windows has not sparked PC sales as some hoped, and, based on usage patterns, has had a slower uptake than the flop that was Windows Vista.
http://www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-windows/windows-blue-confirms-desktops-days-are-numbered-215240

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9237252/Windows_8_uptake_slows_for_third_straight_month

Windows_8_Uptake_Feb_2013.jpg

I can't say I'm super surprised. After vista the consumer has become more aware of OS differences and I've been asked numerous times if w8 is the next vista.

And now from a bit of experience with w8 I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless it is for a tablet/touch screen. Especially if they already have windows 7

I personnely can not see any reason to change, as Janus just said its for Tablets, touch screens and cellphones! Also on here ive seen members moaning on here about issues about compatibility with hardware. So no thanks happy with Win 7 64 Bit this end! AJ.

I don't think it would be half bad on a tablet, I think it would be useful there.

There just needs to be a power user edition for desktops without the ugly metro, just like a carbon copy of w7.

Or just make W7 Service Pack 2 and be done with it.

Sigh.

But I saw this coming. People don't like difficult to use/learn things, nor do they radical changes.

I have no problem with new and different things. I have a problem with them trying to tell me that a UI designed for touchscreens works well without touchscreens. Change is cool, if it is actually beneficial. The Windows 8 UI with a mouse is not a benificial change.

While there is no real justification to spend $ on upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8, WHY would you not choose Windows 8, given an EQUAL choice? Why is Windows 8 a fail, unless one of our computer illiterate friends/cousins is using it?

For us Windows 8 can be no different than Windows 7 + Windows 8 extras. No metro.

1. Install this FREEWARE:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

Like this:

ClassicShellCustom.jpg

2. Disable Charms

Like this:

DisableCharms.png

3. Change the the Start Menu Button:

Start Button TAB > Custom Button >
Start Button Win7.png

*THE END*

[If you want a button other than actual Windows 7 button ↑ in Windows 8, note the Button Image has to be a single .bmp or .png image of three different buttons top, middle, and bottom button depicting normal, hot and pressed button style.]

For some of the cosmetic things you may be on your own, but functionally, I took the extra step of also installing Classic Explorer, not just Classic Start Menu.

Attachments

• Toolbar.png
    Toolbar.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 199
The hole idea for a OS is to make things easier to use windows 8 fails it's not easier to use than all the other OSs other than DOS.

I hope Windows 8 tanks so bad MS has to rethink things.

You are correct. It is painfully difficult to use.

But if you apply Classic Shell as described above, you can boot into Windows-looking desktop plus have all Windows 8 extras, regardless if you need them or not. You can have them as an option and still use Windows7-looking Windows 8 complete with Start Menu and no metro.

You get to have Metro with SHIFT+Start Menu as an option.

Once more: I shouldn't need to install third-party applications to make my operating system work. The ability to do so does not absolve the operating system of its utter suckage.

I haven't used the release version of Windows 8 at all yet, but I ran both a few BETAs and the RC and didn't have a problem with any of it. The BETAs had some interesting bugs that were pretty annoying but as far as features, I'd never buy a copy of Windows 7 again. What would the point be? Windows is Windows, if they decide for the next 5 iterations to use the exact same METRO interface etc, you're all going to have to get bloody used to it. So why not start now?

Like others have stated, in several threads, 8 can be made into 7 really easily as far as the GUI, so tell me, would you recommend a copy of Windows 7 for a customer or Windows 8 if they had no issues with the 8 interface or were fine with an 8 conversion? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Like others have stated, in several threads, 8 can be made into 7 really easily as far as the GUI, so tell me, would you recommend a copy of Windows 7 for a customer or Windows 8 if they had no issues with the 8 interface or were fine with an 8 conversion? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Because, I shouldn't have to fix something that wasn't broken previously. As Pettey said.

I won't ever have to get used to it, at least untill a game I really desire uses DX12, and that DX only supports Windows 8.

That would be the only time I would ever get it, and even then, the game would have to be really something I desire on PC.

Like Halo 3/4

You're making my point for me. If Microsoft decides it wants to stick with this model, we're stuck with it, no matter how much you want to resist it right now. What are you going to do? Switch to Linux? Mac? Right.

Maybe enough people will stop buying windows 8 and they will be forced to change it could happen.:)

You're making my point for me. If Microsoft decides it wants to stick with this model, we're stuck with it, no matter how much you want to resist it right now. What are you going to do? Switch to Linux? Mac? Right.

I just won't ever upgrade to w8? Heh. Games can only get so good.

It was years before I left XP, and few if any games by then didn't support XP, even Halo 2 did with a little bit of ingenuity.

If they try to force it on us, it'll be years before I move to w9, lol.

Once more: I shouldn't need to install third-party applications to make my operating system work. The ability to do so does not absolve the operating system of its utter suckage.

You are 100% correct that you should not.
You shouldn't upgrade from Win7 to Win8.
But if you had both in front of you and IF you can pick one for the same price for a new build, which would you choose? That's the question, not if it sucks out of the box, we've established that Windows 8 "sucks" out of the box.

Most people do not choose Win8 because "it sucks" but why do they give up all the extras when they can easily turn it into Windows 7, in 10 seconds, through Classic Shell, for free? :shrug:

I'd choose Windows 7. Less driver compatibility issues (not all Win7 drivers work on Win8). And I wouldn't have to even mess with the classic shell stuff.

Yeah, although most Win7 drivers work in compatibility mode for Win8, for compatibility, I would go a step further and select the 32-Bit version.

There are a few little things you'd be giving up by not going with Win8, given an equal choice. I have both Win7 and Win8 on the same SSD, and having identical programs installed on both, I don't know, Win8 feels better, there are quite a few little things you discover after some use, that are not bad at all on Windows 8. Nothing to make you give up Win7 but whenever someone says something doesn't work on Win8, I do a search and I see it works for some people but not the others, suggesting a user error or a problem that is not universal.

Everything I've tried works on both Win7 and Win8, but if a program or a game you use heavily has problems on Win8, that's a good reason to reconsider.

You are 100% correct that you should not.
You shouldn't upgrade from Win7 to Win8.
But if you had both in front of you and IF you can pick one for the same price for a new build, which would you choose? That's the question, not if it sucks out of the box, we've established that Windows 8 "sucks" out of the box.

Most people do not choose Win8 because "it sucks" but why do they give up all the extras when they can easily turn it into Windows 7, in 10 seconds, through Classic Shell, for free? :shrug:

What extras? I've yet to see any benefits it has over 7.

I was wondering this my self.. I see, C6, you are an omnipresent cheerleader for the OS, but have yet to list any tangible benefits outside of users requiring to change the look right off the bat.

Why would I want to switch to this over 7? What benefits does it really have over W7?

Back