• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 uptake slower than Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi! :)

I absolutely would not take the trouble to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Now that we've established that, the question is purely of having an OPTION, just an option, regardless whether it is worth it or not, to use Windows 8 extras - when faced with a new install.

So once, again, for every Windows 8 extra, you are correct in having an opinion that says "Big Deal, I don't really need that" but why not take the OPTION of having it if there is no downside.

So

Repost

Depending on how you set things up, it has been said that if you install everything identical on Windows 7 vs Windows 8, that Windows 8 will boot faster. People say no it doesn't but 99% do not have an identical dual boot to prove it. I have a quadruple boot and Windows 8 is faster to boot. Only a few seconds maybe, but a few seconds nevertheless!

MS claims better multi monitor support, better support for connecting your HD TV in addition to your PC monitor. Which is true. They also claim better security. But Comodo Firewall Freeware / Avira Antivirus Freeware and disabling Windows Firewall etc. is what I do. But still, again, that is a bonus. There are little Desktop GUI things you will notice after a while that are nice. Nothing big, but it's nice to see the copy-paste progress details.

Metro apps... you may never use. But hey, you have the option of installing a Metro App. Classic Shell > SHIFT+CLICK on your Start Menu and there's your Metro. We are all in agreement that Metro by default needs to be killed for business machines, but I like the idea of being able to have an option to use it, maybe one day MS Store will have a Metro App worth trying? Right now only in their dreams but hey maybe one day and then we get to use it on Windows 8 because we have that option -- not to mention an option of a future touchscreen device connected to your current PC.

So I always asked people from the get-go, why are you even talking about Metro? You know by the time Windows 8 Final comes out, there will be a way to get rid of it? What are other reasons for not using 8?

Some of them claimed certain things work under Windows 7 whereas they do not under Windows 8. I have not had anything not work under Windows 8 (that worked on 7). Besides, it is always a good idea to install Windows XP 32-Bit on a separate partition and simply reboot into it to have the option of using ALL older software/hardware should you ever need to. But if something you use does not work under Windows 8, but it does work under Windows 7 - I see that as the only legitimate reason that I know of for not going with 8 (given an equal choice).

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct. I would not scratch Windows 7 to upgrade to Windows 8.

But the topic is if you had to choose one, why not 8?

Metro is gone in a few seconds through classic shell and every time I try to lookup a program that someone says is not compatible with Win8, I find others using it fine on Win8.

So absolutely we "should not" be forced to use Classic Shell but we're only shooting ourselves in the foot if we give up extras, regardless of what they are, given an equal choice.

WHY 8 is what Im asking you :). WHAT tangible benefits does it have over W7? You make vague references of 'shooting ourselves in the foot if we give up extras'..... so what extras are we giving up?

You are absolutely correct. I would not scratch Windows 7 to upgrade to Windows 8.

Then given a choice, why would you start with 8? Your logic is falling apart here.

But the topic is if you had to choose one, why not 8?
Because out of the box, it is actively inhibiting my use of the system.

we're only shooting ourselves in the foot if we give up extras, regardless of what they are

"Secure boot" is an extra that would attempt to stop me from running other operating systems. Constant-connection DRM is an extra that tells me I'm not allowed to play my games when I want to. Blu-ray encryption updates are an extra that prevent me from watching movies on my computer. If giving those up is shooting myself in the foot, I don't know what I've thought feet were good for all these years...

I think he means all of the little things 7 doesn't.. The c/p status, better monitor support, etc.

He seems pretty content with it by the sounds of things. I'd like to thank him for taking the time to post :thup:

I'll be honest, I just tried a beta, or maybe it was rtm but my first impression was "how did this even make it to beta?"

I'll stick with 7 for now, but I have a feeling 8 or something like it is here to stay.. They should have made it so that it would be aware of its environment.. If its touch then roll in metro, if its not a touch environment then keep it classic.. I think by installing metro off the hop with no start menu they shot themselves in the foot. It also seems that younger people like the os more than the old fogies do :D

[If you want a button other than actual Windows 7 button ↑ in Windows 8, note the Button Image has to be a single .bmp or .png image of three different buttons top, middle, and bottom button depicting normal, hot and pressed button style.]

Look at the button.. see what it looks like? PRESS the button (do not release) notice its different? Then the 'hot' one (not sure what that is called for specifically). But you can see the need for three different ones as there are different 'states' to the button, as was explained in Post #7.

Last edited:
WHY 8 is what Im asking you :). WHAT tangible benefits does it have over W7? You make vague references of 'shooting ourselves in the foot if we give up extras'..... so what extras are we giving up?

For example, it is not worth it to give up Windows 7 so you can boot 2 or 3 seconds faster but you would be shooting yourself in the foot if, all things being equal, you choose to boot 2 seconds slower. Improvements are minor but they are by and large of that nature.

@ c627627 how come you put the 3 start menuse button together? you can only use one right?.... also I like metro.

I didn't understand the question, but EarthDog did. It's OK to ask, make sure if you create your own, they look just like this for normal, hot and pressed button. Here are Windows 7 and Windows XP buttons, I made the ugly WinXP button myself from scratch ;):

Start Button Win7.png Start Button WinXP [clear].png

Question:
Then given a choice, why would you start with 8? Your logic is falling apart here.
Answer: Because it is not worth it to abandon a perfectly fine Windows 7 to install Windows 8 which will give you few benefits that make it worth it spending time doing it (it takes me four days to set up every program just like I like it.)

But it is worth it to select Windows 8 for a new system. So don't give up Windows 7, but select Windows 8 if you build from scratch.

Because out of the box, it is actively inhibiting my use of the system.

I agree! I felt anger in my stomach how much Windows 8 was inhibiting my use of the system. I felt that whoever approved Windows 8 with NO OPTION to boot straight to Desktop with Start Menu did not realize how sadistic that decision was. It caused a lot of people a lot of grief.

But this is overclockers, so since it takes us a few seconds to permanently be booting into Windows 7-looking Windows 8, this is not an issue. Metro is not an issue because it can be permanently disabled very quickly PLUS you get the option to bring Metro up with a single click (which I almost never do - but I have that option.) It is SHIFT+CLICK on Windows 8 Start Menu.

"Secure boot" is an extra that would attempt to stop me from running other operating systems. Constant-connection DRM is an extra that tells me I'm not allowed to play my games when I want to. Blu-ray encryption updates are an extra that prevent me from watching movies on my computer. If giving those up is shooting myself in the foot, I don't know what I've thought feet were good for all these years...

I see no difference on a Windows-only system with Secure boot. Windows 7/XP/8/Vista system. Secure Boot can be disable in BIOS, can't it?

I have a question for you: What DRM problem is present on Windows 8 that is not on Windows 7? and What Blu-ray problem is present on Windows 8 that is not present on Windows 7?

I think he means all of the little things 7 doesn't.. The c/p status, better monitor support, etc.

He seems pretty content with it by the sounds of things.

I'll stick with 7 for now.

Hi. Let me say this: My Windows 8 is Windows 7+. That's the point I am trying to make. It can easily and quickly be turned into Windows 7 with all these minor things being extras you may or may not ever use or need. But my Windows 8 is essentially just like my Windows 7.

Don't forget to KEEP your Windows 7 and install Windows 8 on a different partition then dual boot if you ever install Windows 8.

I have my PC on 24/7, so boot times do not really matter to me... That said, I have an SSD and I wait around 12-15 seconds.

Improvements are minor but they are by and large of that nature.
Ok.. still waiting to find some that are worth the change...

I dont know, I just dont see a point to select W8 over W7 new or not there are not any features I would want (that I know of, hence why Im drilling ya for something tangible).

Thank you for the information.

As was said, you need all three as there are 3 different 'states' the button can be in... See previous posts as it was explained originally by C6, then again by me.

briansun1,

If you look at the Start Menu button, it is one color. Now go over it with your mouse, it is another color. Now press the Start Menu button - it changes yet again to a third color.

That is why you need three different buttons in the custom picture, not one.

@ c627627 you can only use one of the start bottons right? or can you use all 3?(at eh same time/flows like win7) hope this makes since

The buttons are 3 different STATES of being pressed. Idle, hovered, and pressed. They are the same button. Try it on your computer. look at the start button, hover over it, and press it.

Back