• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 8 visuals (not impressed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just wait till next week when all the H starts breaking loose when computer illiterates start getting a hold of Windows 8 and realize nothing is like what they've been used to...

Tell me about it, I have no issue with changing a few config files and modifying a few tasks but I can't imagine how one would explain that to a computer illiterate.

I think I posted this somewhere else as well but here it is again:

AOL-1996-vs.-Microsoft-Windows-8.jpg

As of today, I have sat down with windows 8 for a total of one hour. I have gotten a bit used to it and don't really mind it to be honest. I would like to see how it works in dual monitor as I have heard reports of it being better that way. As for a taskbar, non-existent, which is fine, but....still...

The interface is intuitive when you actually know what to do, it's easy and fast, but you need to learn how first. Nothing is pointed out to you plainly. I hate how Chrome doesn't integrate yet, but I would love to see Chrome and Steam integrate with it, that would be neato. Also, would like my google account instead of a live account to sync. I don't care about my live account any more, mostly it's garbage email and Xbox Live these days. If they include those two functions for me and I can run xSplit and live stream my gaming, I don't care if it's not great. Boot time is speedy, it's reactive and has some neat ideas behind it all. Technically speaking it's more intuitive than what we've been doing for almost 20 years. Gotta say I find it interesting, but it's not viable for me right now. But for laptops and new users, hells yes. Children will be fantastic with it when they get the hang of it, however I don't care for touch screens....at all. I will stick to a mechanical keyboard and a accurate laser mouse to my fingers any day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/t...-surface-its-first-tablet-review.html?hp&_r=0

How would you like to move into a stunning mansion on a bluff overlooking the sea — in Somalia? Or would you like the chance to own a new Ferrari — that has to be refueled every three miles? Would you take a job that pays $1 million a year — cutting football fields with toenail clippers?

Otherwise, though, Windows RT can’t run any of the four million regular Windows programs. Or the 275,000 iPad apps. Or the 17 Android tablet apps. (That’s a joke! There are actually 19 Android tablet apps.)

But both Surface tablets, and indeed Windows 8 itself, suffer from an insanely confusing split personality. Beneath the colorful, edge-to-edge world of RT apps, the menus, icons, taskbar and overlapping windows of the traditional Windows desktop are still there. On the Surface, that old desktop pops bafflingly and unnecessarily into view whenever you use the Office programs.

Little inconsistencies and bafflements are everywhere. Such as the way Word constantly informs me that “there is insufficient memory or disk space.” (Well, gee, Microsoft — whose fault is that?)

Back