• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I already know the solution if your UAC is off and you still get this Windows 8.1 nag prompt when trying to copy anything to root C drive: "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder"

The solution is to go to

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

and change the value of key EnableLUA to 0

However, this breaks Windows App store.
Giving yourself Full Control also didn't help.

I remember concluding a few years ago that giving up the app store is a small price to pay to be UAC free. :)
But I just got a $59 Windows 8.1 Tablet at Microcenter, going to make an image for friends & family, I don't want to cut off access.

$59 for a full Laptop replacement tablet, handles basic tasks just great - we've come a long way with technology!
I made a reg file for my image, going to just run it to enable/disable UAC in registry (and with it the app store).

Still curious if there is cure though.

Never run into the problem (as I don't disable UAC), but have you checked the permissions of C:? Maybe give your user account (ie, not the administrators group) write permission to it?

Also, sweet deal on a tablet!

Yeah I don't have this problem on my PC but have encountered it before on portable Windows devices.

Back