• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 95 Install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good because I ended up getting a copy of windows 98 (along with an old computer) so i'll try it soon. I should also be able to load up windows 98 with vmplayer in windows vista right?

have you tried dosbox?

Alright my copy of windows 98SE came in along with the old computer, but not my monitor yet. So I decided to give VMplayer a go with windows 98 and it loaded great, I had support for everything, but it wouldn't launch any of the games even after installing the vmtools. So I dumped that and downloaded Virtual PC 2007 and it loaded windows 98 up even better than VMplayer, also it can play they games fine right here on my main rig using the virtual machine. Only thing is that there is a very noticable lag between everything while playing the games, so I won't be using that either. I would try other options but i'm going to wait for this monitor to arrive and just give the older PC a shot, probably on monday.

Just for closure, I couldn't wait so I got it running from my bedroom tv. Old computer works great plays everything just like I remember them being played. 900mhz celeron, 256mb of ram, 10gb hdd, onboard video and sound. It's great lol. It wanted a driver for the tv so I popped in my acer cd from my monitor and it took it just fine hah.

Cool.

I have Windows Me (glorified Win98) running @2.4 GHz with 1.5GB RAM.

Virtrtual can't replace the real deal if you remember how it once was. ;).

You download and install VMware Player from oracle.
When you open it up the first time you select "Create a new vitrual machine"
check the "Installer disk " option and insert the win 98 disk.
click next and enter your product key and username.
Pick a name for the virtual machine, then click browse and put the VM file on one of your larger data drives preferably one thats on NTFS so you dont have to worry about file size.
set the disk size, Im using like 20GB set to store virtual disk as single file(for my xp image).
---------------------Optional---------------------
Click customize hardware
set network mode to bridged
increase ram to 512MB
----------------------------------------------------
---------------------Optional2--------------------
While on customize hardware page
click Add
select hard drive and select use physical disk(advanved)--
check use partition and select the HDD you want to use for transfers
select the partition and name it
---------------------------------------------------

Power on the virtual machine for the first time and the windows 98 installer will run.
Once your booted into windows install whatever software you want.

Now select shutdown when your done.
In windows explorer go find the folder your VM is in and make a zip or rar file from it and save it someplace to restore to later.
restart the VM and use as you see fit

The nice thing about zipping it up is that if you ever scrub the OS you can simply unpack the zip file over the directory and BLAMO back to a clean install in less than 5 mins.

Edit, silly me I wasnt on the last page...

Last edited:
Cool.

I have Windows Me (glorified Win98) running @2.4 GHz with 1.5GB RAM.

Virtrtual can't replace the real deal if you remember how it once was. ;).

You do know admitting to using Windows ME is a felony in most states right?

10 years ago or so, I could not ask a single question about Win Me w/o getting multiple 'why are you using WinMe' replies. It didn't help that it was and still is a dual WinXP/Me boot.

I just wanted to have the real deal to run stuff not compatible with later OS. That's when I learned to drive image so often because WinMe would break all the time.

Back