• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows auto updates software/drivers despite having that feature turned off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

In device installation settings I have it set to NO

My Asus Sonic Studio/Radar just auto updated itself?

I tried googling this to see if maybe the asus software had a setting that allows auto update but can't find anything.

What could be causing this auto driver update?

Thanks.

Welcome to Windows 10. :p

Asus Sonic Studio/Radar is software, not a driver. Mine auto updates too.

Welcome to Windows 10. :p

Asus Sonic Studio/Radar is software, not a driver. Mine auto updates too.

Yeah my bad on the "driver" part.

How the heck do we turn this off? Last thing I need is for this software to break itself.

That's a call home feature. Probably have to go into services and disable it then reboot. Compress it with peazip or whatever first to make sure it's not required then you can delete that if you want. It's ridiculous the amount of bloatware that's attached to installations of video drivers.

That's a call home feature. Probably have to go into services and disable it then reboot. Compress it with peazip or whatever first to make sure it's not required then you can delete that if you want. It's ridiculous the amount of bloatware that's attached to installations of video drivers.
Sonic studio is software on top of the audio drivers.

I agree with the statement about gpu drivers...good thing is that you can not install the bloat by being conscious and not clicking through the installation process.

I cannot imagine life without software that intercepts phone home attempts.
I am on stable Windows 8.1 of course and use Comodo Firewall 8.4 to intercept all unauthorized incoming traffic and more importantly OUTGOING phone home attempts. Allowing anything to willy-nilly update itself without permission is a recipe for a complete disaster. I update my system when I choose to, I am not having my system hicking up when I need it the most (as a result of a botched auto-update).

On a side note: I believe that Microsoft will offer Windows 10 auto-update disabling feature in 2023 when you guys finish Beta testing Windows 10 in three years. Every Windows 10 user from 2015 to 2023 is a Beta tester. To all Windows 10 users: Thank you for your sacrifice! :D

Code:
Comodo Firewall 8.4.0.5165

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program > OK > UNCHECK everything > STOP!!

** CLICK ON CUSTOMIZE INSTALLATION here. ** BEFORE CLICKING ON Next

UNCHECK: COMODO GeekBuddy 
UNCHECK: COMODO Browser 

> Back > Agree and Install > Close

Comodo Firewall will immediately start behaving crazy-restrictive, immediately import any saved configurations if you have them:

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open... > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks > Open Advanced Settings [lower right] > Configuration > Right click on empty white window > Import > Browse to previously saved configuration settings file > Open and wait and allow for it to be imported, then right click on the imported configuration > Activate > Yes > OK > OK 

REBOOT.

Otherwise, ignore alerts and immediately start setting your custom configuration:

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open... > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks [lower left] > Open Advanced Settings [lower right] > 
General Settings [upper left of the Advanced Settings window] > User Interface > 
UNCHECK: Show messages from COMODO Message Center
UNCHECK: Show welcome screen on startup
UNCHECK: Show desktop widget
UNCHECK: Play sound when an alert is shown

Updates > UNCHECK everything

> Security Settings > File Rating > File Rating Settings > UNCHECK everything
> Security Settings > Defense+ > Sandbox > Auto-Sandbox > UNCHECK: Enable file source tracking > OK
[otherwise each downloaded file will be labeled with Alternate Data Stream data]
Comodo 8 does not allow removal of Alternate Data Streams until it is uninstalled.
Comodo 7 does not have this problem.

> OK > REBOOT

To temporarily block ALL internet access: Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Advanced View,
Now you can right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Firewall > Block All 

To see the list of blocked programs:
Tasks > Advanced tasks > Open Advanced Settings > Security Settings > Firewall > Application Rules

Disabling Comodo right-click menu entries such as "Run in COMODO Sandbox":

Enter the following into Start Menu > Run... or Open DOS command box as Administrator and type the following:
regsvr32 /u "%ProgramFiles%\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavshell.dll"

To restore it back into right-click menu, type the following:
regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavshell.dll"

To temporarily allow everything to go through:

Tasks > Firewall Tasks > Open Advanced Settings > Application Rules >
Right click on empty gray area > Add > Browse > File Group > All Applications >
Copy From > Ruleset > Trusted Application > OK

Make sure the just crated All Applications rule is at the top and
*must* click on OK and have the Application Rules window disappear for this to actually take effect.

Completely remove this rule when finished.

You're welcome. :)

Shutup10 works a treat too. I use it on the review machine so it doesn't update.

Back