• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows hanging on boot, can't get into safe mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Its acting really weird on my main desktop

i5 2500k
Windows 7 Pro

It will sometimes boot up no issues, and others just hangs on the "Starting Windows" screen. I again sometimes can get into Safe Mode, other times not.

WHEN it does start, its normal -- fast, no issues.

Windows repair finds nothing...No virus'; I'm lost...

Just did it right now...
I had to reboot 10/11 times before it would get past the screen.

It almost feels like a hardware issue maybe?

If I put the computer to sleep, it starts up each time, but any sort of shutdown is just asking for problems.

if you can get into windows, or can put your hard drive in a working computer i would suggest using HDtune to run for bad sectors...

Yeah I would chkdsk it download this I use it at work a lot and it works well. You can use a linux or xp like os or various utilities. Boot the cd and check the disk and make sure everything is working fine.

Also note down what file its hanging on when booting to safe mode that may give you a big clue. also things like is it always the same file it hangs on or is it random.

Also if you want even more testing if you have a second HDD or can partition the one thats in there and load on a second copy of the same OS on the other partition with drivers and test using that one. that way you will know if its OS or HW

Good Luck

Back