• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows is reporting memory problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcoomer

Hello,
I'm getting BSODs and have run Window Memory Diagnostic tool but when I view the logs in Event Viewer all I get is that there is confirmation that there is a failure and I need to contact my computer manufacturer for support. In addition to the BSODs I'm seeing programs and services that stop running unexpectedly. Info from Event Viewer is below:

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer

+ System
- Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-MemoryDiagnostics-Results
[ Guid] {5F92BC59-248F-4111-86A9-E393E12C6139}
EventID 1102
Version 0
Level 2
Task 0
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x8000000000000000
- TimeCreated
SystemTime] 2012-08-15T04:59:25.575974400Z
EventRecordID 42235
Correlation
- Execution
[ ProcessID] 4216
[ ThreadID] 4220
Channel System
Computer Mike-PC
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18
- UserData
- Results
LaunchType Response
CompletionType Fail
MemorySize 4095
TestType 10
TestDuration 533
TestCount 12
NumPagesTested 1047227
NumPagesUnTested 1121
NumBadPages 4
T1NumBadPages 4
T2NumBadPages 4
T3NumBadPages 4
T4NumBadPages 4
T5NumBadPages 4
T6NumBadPages 4
T7NumBadPages 4
T8NumBadPages 4
T9NumBadPages 4
T10NumBadPages 4
T11NumBadPages 4
T12NumBadPages 4
T13NumBadPages 0
T14NumBadPages 0
T15NumBadPages 0
T16NumBadPages 0

I have CPU-Z and it sees all four slots and populates the information fields for each of the slots. I haven't run any other tests on my memory but looks like I need to run MemTest86+. What else can I do to try to find this problem? What other information can I give you folks to try to get some help in isolating this. Any help is appreciated. Just want to get my PC back to running smoothly.

Thanks,
Mike

For memory errors it's best you don't use any OS based tools as it may be an OS issue that shows up (that's unlikely, however).

I suggest you use Memtest 86+. Leave it running for few hours and post the results.

Ran MemTest86+ for just over two hours and had 1,088,243 errors. Is that a lot? Watching as the tests ran it appears that all the errors came when the program was testing 184K-2048M. As the errors scrolled in the display the address field was a hexadecimal number - 1023.5M. Looks like I need to take out a couple sticks, run the test, and see if I can find a bad one through the process of elimination.

Mike

1 is a lot.

Your troubleshooting method is sound. Find the bad stick(s). Replace them (all) with new

Recommendations for PC2-6400. Looking for at least two sticks Crucial Ballistix to ensure compatibility but can replace them all I suppose. These old sticks are certainly cheap enough. Just did a quick search and found that Newegg has 2G X2 for 59.99.

Mike

Last edited:
DDR2 is expensive compared to DDR3. And if you cant find matching sticks, grab a whole new set and sell the others.

Any DDR2 800Mhz will be fine.

Had a number or unexpected restarts and BSODs over the weekend. Memory should arrive today according to the tracking number but of course, I get to work late today. Seems like lately every time I need to be at home I get stuck at work. I just want my computer to work smoothly again. It's always run so well that it's frustrating to deal with interruptions to work and play. Oh well...I'll get home when I get home.

Mike

So, new memory in and Memtest+86 ran with no errors. Restarted, POST is good, Windows Starting splash screen comes up and kerplunk, kerplooey. After hanging on the splash screen for a minute Windows repair comes up and asks if I want to try to restore from a previous point. Clicking No send it into repair where it scans for a solution to some problem that it won't describe. Tried to boot three times with the same set of symptoms. Ran Memtest again after the second boot and still good with no errors.

Any ideas? I'm going to reseat the DIMMs, retest, and try to reboot this evening. Failing that I'll stick the Win 7 DVD in and try to clear it up with a repair install.

Mike

Put the DVD in and not having much luck so far. Windows setup starts but when I try to run repair it freezes. Reboot and try to do an install and after appearing to unpack and install the files that freezes. Just pulled DIMMs from A2/B2, leaving A1/B1 populated and trying repair and install again. Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Have you tried reformatting the disk yet? Running the OS with memory errors for a while has likely corrupted the file system.

Got it up and running last night with A1/B1 populated. Seemed to be pretty stable for the short time I was watching it but I do think I'm going to archive and backup, then blow it out with a format and fresh install. I'll probably try to get the other two slots populated and working before I format and install.

Mike

Stupid question as I've moved on to a new computer but I'll ask it anyway. If one were to overclock a CPU like a Q9550 and not change any RAM settings, like relaxing the timings, could that cause problems like BSODs, hang ups, and programs halting? Curious to know for my own edification I suppose.

Mike

Stupid question as I've moved on to a new computer but I'll ask it anyway. If one were to overclock a CPU like a Q9550 and not change any RAM settings, like relaxing the timings, could that cause problems like BSODs, hang ups, and programs halting? Curious to know for my own edification I suppose.
If the memory wasn't capable of running faster than the stock setting, yes.

Just curious because I didn't start having trouble until after I overclocked the CPU. Could be a complete coincidence but it did get me thinking. I may go home and plug this card back in today and run the heck out of it at stock clock.

Mike

Back