• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows protection error after fresh format and install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sim

Hi All
Heres the scoop about a month ago i was upgrading my duron 800mhz to a t-bird 1200mhz. it posted saying the cpu was 900mhz and the cpu speed was wrong and that i had to change. went to the bios put it at 1200mhz, save and exit. SMOKE. it never booted again. even the power supply fan wouldnt go. I took it to a repair shop and they gave me a new M/B and power supply (using my old duron now) and tried to charge me 944.00 for labor! Any way got it home formatted the drive re-install 98se windows protection error. The tech at the computer place said if this happened that the hard drive was bad. RMA'd the hard drive got the new one(which was twice the size of the old one thanks Fujitsu!) formated installed windows installed mother board drivers restart windows protection error! I formatted the drive again installed windows and this time installed every driver I could on the system ran system file checker a couple times and restarted. It booted fine restarted 4 times and everything seemed to work. Then i noticed that my vid card was still standerd pci graphics card, so I hooked it up with the right driver restarted windows, and another damn error. I tried killing all parts of the driver i could find, msconfig etc. Now when i restart i get a while initializing device IOS windows couldnt start or something to that effect, or a protection error, or a black screen right into windows and freeze, or a restart right into windows. some of these were also happing before I installed the driver but I cant remember whick ones. Any help would be appreciated!
system specs:
DFI AM75-EC
Integrated 8-32mb S3 video
Integrated sound and lan
Duron 800mhz
Windows 98se
Fujitsu 20gb HDD
DVD10x

First off the computer store that you took your computer too is full of morons. Put aside the fact that they charged you $944 in labor to swap a motherboard and CPU, but telling you that a windows protection error is a bad hard drive.....This is just plain ignorant.

Wipe it clean again. Fdisk and recreate the partition. Reboot. Format it. Load Windows. Now here comes the tedious part. When Win98 is loaded, reboot it three or four times, make sure you dont get any protection errors. Then install you drivers one at a time. Reboot a few times for each one. This will point you to which driver is causing the Protection Error. Once you have it identified, then you can back it out, and update (or even downgrade) it to one that works.

Same with any programs that you use. If you get all the drivers installed and everything checks out, then start putting your programs in. One at a time, rebooting once or twice after each one. This will also help identify which program is doing it, which I doubt. I'm pretty content to call it a driver problem.

I would also check a few other things. If you have any spare memory laying around, then use it, and leave the memory that you usually use out as it could be causing the problems.

And most importantly. Don't overclock while installing the OS, drivers, and applications! Wait until you have everything installed and it is stable before you start turning up the Mhz.

Thanks for the suggestons but when I installed windows and it booted and I just restarted for some dumb reason I got a windows protection error with no drivers installed
oh and in the specs I forgot to put in the memory

256mb pc-133 cas2 crucial -8 shared video

another thing, could I get someideas to jerry-rig the memory to some extent because I have a cool lan party on fridat and I dont have extra ram.

Have you tried starting it with the minimal amount of components in it? I would take out everything, then run fdisk and format. Load up the fail safe defaults in your bios and then install windows. Once you get windows in, then start setting the bios back to the way you had it checking occasionally to see if the errors come back. Once you have the bios all set up put your cards back in 1 by 1, don't load the drivers right away, let the machine boot into windows and see if it still crashes. If all is still going good at this point, load up your drivers. Hope this helps a little, I had to do this on a friends system he was havingtrouble with.

Fiz

Fiz (The Ringmaster) said:
Have you tried starting it with the minimal amount of components in it? I would take out everything, then run fdisk and format. Load up the fail safe defaults in your bios and then install windows. Once you get windows in, then start setting the bios back to the way you had it checking occasionally to see if the errors come back. Once you have the bios all set up put your cards back in 1 by 1, don't load the drivers right away, let the machine boot into windows and see if it still crashes. If all is still going good at this point, load up your drivers. Hope this helps a little, I had to do this on a friends system he was havingtrouble with.

Fiz
sorry, but I already have minimal componets in.
Thanks anyway

move your sound blaster to a different pci slot/ other then 1, reserve an IRQ for your video card (just stabbing here)

oh yea, now i see the system info, onboard video and sound and lan, man sorry just skimmed,saw "Video Card" but yea i would think with all that u just need to sortout, update your driver info, also check out your MB site see what info they have on chipset, drivers

Last edited:
Hey Microsoft,
do you think moving the memory to a different dimm slot would make a difference, or is it just bad memory?

well whennever ive oced my memory to much i get a windows protection error

if its the cpu you get a registry error on boot up

Back