• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Server 2012 RC is out... thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

tons of threads on win 8, but i want to hear form the Server users their thoughts on Server 2012?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/2012-default.aspx

I have used the 8 beta myself at home for a few weeks now and i am finding it very clumbsy.

it seem that simple tasks before are now burried deep in menu options.

i really want to give it a try and experience it, but i am finding it somewhat difficult..

Some of the new storage features look nice... but how well will they work?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/2012-storage-availability.aspx

hmm downloading it now.

Have been contemplating on updating the server from windows server 2003 (non r2) to windows server 2008 r2 (win 7 based).... just to get with the times on that front.... vpn between the win 2k3 and windows 7 is a PAIN!

10% done of the 3.4GB

Ill pop it on a virtualbox and see what its like.... i wonder if it has the metro interface... i HIGHLY doubt it.... so that makes me wonder if thats possible then what does this mean for a possible standard interface on win 8?! As i played around with the latest consumer preview of win 8.... and while its pretty... its god awful to navigate.

Last edited:
FYI..... it uses the same metro interface..... PASSSS glad i didnt waste my time actually installing this fully but rather in a virtual box.

I am downloading it now. I have yet to try Windows 8 so I am completely going in blind here. I am sure that I will eventually get certified in Windows Server 2012 since I have my MCSA in Server 2008 and it looks like they actually have an upgrade path with a single upgrade exam (link).

I will at least give it a try as I am sure that I will be using it in the future whether I like it or not.

*edit: If the tiles are the same in Windows 8, I can definitely see users not liking it right off from previous versions of Windows. There doesn't seem to be an 'All Programs' view on the tiles as far as I can see. It seemed to be quite responsive but then again, Windows tends to be after a fresh install :) I would like to do some further integration into my network which I tend to use as a bit of a test environment but installing a non-RTM OS is even a bit much for me

Last edited:
Wait...they are using the Metro UI for the server OS GUI? wow.

I'll be right back, going to burn a few backup copies of W2k8 R2 and put them in a safe somewhere. ;)

I am downloading it now. I have yet to try Windows 8 so I am completely going in blind here. I am sure that I will eventually get certified in Windows Server 2012 since I have my MCSA in Server 2008 and it looks like they actually have an upgrade path with a single upgrade exam (link).

I will at least give it a try as I am sure that I will be using it in the future whether I like it or not.

*edit: If the tiles are the same in Windows 8, I can definitely see users not liking it right off from previous versions of Windows. There doesn't seem to be an 'All Programs' view on the tiles as far as I can see. It seemed to be quite responsive but then again, Windows tends to be after a fresh install :) I would like to do some further integration into my network which I tend to use as a bit of a test environment but installing a non-RTM OS is even a bit much for me

yup its the SAME metro interface as win 8.

and you prove my point i have been making that windows 8 / metro interface is horrible and needs many extra clicks to acomplish the same thing.

"all apps" can be had by RIGHT clicking in a blank area of the start screen then clicking all apps in the bottom corner..... how counter intuitive.

Servers will soon be on tablets, you see! Ingenious!

They are ready for the market to walk into their hands.

There is a way in win8 to go to a more familiar interface. I have to imagine 12 server does too?

Yeah, but why would they even include it or not just leave it disabled by default. Just seems weird.

Now you can frizbee your server out the nearest window if it makes you mad!

Microsoft has been furiously ripping out legacy code in Windows 8 that would have enabled third parties to bring back the Start button, Start Menu, and other software bits that could have made this new OS look and work like its predecessor. In fact, I’ve seen that several well-known UI hacks that worked fine with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview are no longer functional in the coming Release Preview.
Source

Back