• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Server 2012 RC is out... thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Confirmed, i dont mind it... using server manager now is a breeze really, and once you make your shortcuts to things, it is like 2008 R2!
Whoa, wait. You like 2012?

The world really is ending. Guess I should try this out before it does end.

LOL!

i do, i am used to it now, but i will say i like it more for new features, then menu set up, you get your server manager, to which you now need to click your local server role, to which it brings up this useless summary screen to which you THEN click to manage that role... once again adding another click to a process like they did with the "Super Bar" in windows 7 vs task bar in windows xp.

After spending a week in a training class, Server 2012 has really grown on me. The interface really isn't bad at all once you realize where things are. I'm surprised how easy it is to get to everything from Server Manager. I think they really did it right this time. I even am starting to get used to the UI. I think that server seems to have the right amount of tiles vs legacy Windows when I compare it to Windows 8 but I still think that there should really be a start button or maybe even the entire empty bar in the bottom left corner should pull up the start menu when clicked. I found that when working via Remote Desktop not in full screen that it was a bit of a pain to have to hover over the corners just right to get them to activate.

Also I really like the PowerShell ISE with the suggestions box, much like Visual Studio does and the best part is that PS 3.0 is available for Windows 7 and Server 2008 too.

My issue is the start button for when you install 3rd party items, you have to make a desktop shortcut or pin it to the task bar

My server system is needing a complete reboot and I can get Server 2012 through MSDNAA...

Considering I have never used a "MS Server X" OS, would it be a smart idea to jump in on this?
I was debating going with Windows Home Server 2011, but with it being discontinued next year, I was thinking maybe I should go with something newer...

Realistically its just a data storage server and I use it a lot for remote desktop and accessing data from both LAN and WAN.

Server 2012 offers some cool new storage tools! check it out for sure..

i love de-duplication!

After learning about de-duplication, it's great for storage volumes where there is potential for storing of blocks that are duplicated. I was quite surprised to see how much space was saved from a block level perspective in some real world scenarios. When you think about it, every single Word, Excel, etc document has a similar/same base file size and even those will add up over time on a file server. The numbers we saw from .VHD storage were quite promising as well.

For me it was nice but only saved about 5G on almost 2T of storage, which is good, means my workers dont make dupes!

but it can certainly add up in the end for people!

Well I just took and passed the 70-417 exam today and I have to say that it really was not that hard. If you have your MCSA in Server 2008, I would definitely get it on it before Microsoft has the chance to make the exam more difficult :)

So wow, touch interface on a server OS?

That's even MORE useless than on the consumer OS.

Way to fail, Microsoft.

Seems to be reasonable for server applications (which I have no experience with), but converting it to desktop use is a bit painful. I have the full version through dreamspark. Uninstalled it in favor of Win8Pro that was $20 at the bookstore.

</rant on>
Not digging the product key requirement at install. Really limits testing and product validation, even with my MSDN subscription. I can't count how many times I have staged up a quick W7/W2k8 VM for testing and such, and then blew it away days/weeks/months later. Not cool.
</rant off>

Edit: And I don't really like the "flat" look. Seems like a bad W98 color scheme or something. :(

Last edited:
After reading the thread, I am now a little excited to get my hands on this version. :)
Nice thread

So wow, touch interface on a server OS?

That's even MORE useless than on the consumer OS.

Way to fail, Microsoft.

i use RDC to access my servers so i never see metro, over RDC it goes right to desktop!

only if you connect a keyboard and mouse does it go to metro and to be honest, it isnt that bad having a single screen with all the Key Server management icons right there for you

im still on server 2008 enterprise rc2 only reason i bought it was because i had a 2p 12c system for my server now i have a c2d lmfao hopefully gonna be dual xeons soon though, not really any reason for me to upgrade anywho.

Last edited:
I just finished a server swap to a new server running 2012. I think a lot of the "shortcomings" with Win 8 are mostly irrelevant with Server 2012. Metro was a little ackward at first but, once you set icons on the desktop or pin them to the "Start menu" (metro) then it's pretty smooth. I do have to qualify this though and state that the server is only being used as a DC, DHCP, DNS and file server. For those uses it's adequate and works fine. I'm running the old server in a VM to broadcast some legacy apps. I can't attest to hosting outlook or VM's for VDI or the RDS services (other than connecting as administrator). I've had a hiccup here and there trying to find certain tools and which menu they're in but nothing serious.

Edit - I can't speak to server migration either. I did a clean install then transfer since the old server had too many problems with the configuration that I didn't want to be inherited by the new server. So I don't know how smooth or bumpy migration might be.

Update - There are really only 2 things I can complain about so far. The first is that I keep losing the user profile for my admin account (not the built in admin account) when logging directly into the server. All of the clients are 7 so maybe that's what's causing the glitch. I'll keep digging to see what I can come up with. But that's relatively minor, more of an irritation that I set up all of the icons for administration and they disappeared (and keep disappearing). Not what I would call a deal breaker. The second, and a little more important. Sometimes finding the app you want can be a little bit of a pain the first time you try to use it. Most of the apps were relatively easy to find, but there were a few that had a little trouble with. Again though, not a serious problem.

I have played with it at home as well. (I get free licenses for testing etc. under Dreamspark since I'm an CS/IT major) I beginning to really like Hyper-V. I just wish MS's VDI licensing scheme wasn't so utterly Insane. As a whole it's relatively very easy to use.

Overall, even WITH the metro interface, I really like Server 2012. It's funny that all the things that drive me nuts about Win 8 are for the most part irrelevant on 2012. Maybe it's because using Win Server has been a little different than the way you use normal windows for a long time now. Almost everything is done from within a few consoles.

Hmm I haven't experienced the profile issue that you mention and I and others on my team are using it as our desktops

Back