• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Server 2012 RC is out... thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yup in the latest windows 8 and id imagine server 2012 that link to re-enable the win 7 start menu does not work.....

got win 8 / server 2012 is going to be such a big flop!

Not sure how i feel about "metroUI" on the server. think about how much you really do on a server. on a domain controller how many icons do you use? SQL? even less.

im downloading RC now to see how it feels.

DNS, DHCP, ActiveDirectory, Routing and Remote Access, Group Policy Management, Command Prompt

Think that's it for our Domain Controller.

Still won't use metroUI unless I have to.

DNS, DHCP, ActiveDirectory, Routing and Remote Access, Group Policy Management, Command Prompt

Think that's it for our Domain Controller.

Still won't use metroUI unless I have to.

you have to..... server 2012 is exactly like win 8... click start.... metro ui start page.

you have to..... server 2012 is exactly like win 8... click start.... metro ui start page.

I guess it's 2008 R2 until they fix that for me then ;)

Can't believe they would change to that on a server - server's aren't meant to be tablet friendly - or friendly at all for that matter!

what im saying is ,

how do you get to those listed what 7 icons?

Press start and click on it above cause its most common used icon or shortcut on the desktop. does it matter if it looks like garbage and is on MetroUI? its still an icon on the "desktop"

Not sure how i feel about "metroUI" on the server. think about how much you really do on a server. on a domain controller how many icons do you use? SQL? even less.

im downloading RC now to see how it feels.

I think this is a way to push people back to the CLI, get more people using CORE versions perhaps...

i know there is a learning curve for any new OS but i have been trying to use server 2012 for a while now and i just seems such a waste of time to configure things...

So anyone else kept on using it, i killed my VM of it for now, was getting tired trying to find things in sets of menu's and poor contract white menu options

My God!!! I can't believe they put Metro on a server OS. :facepalm:
Has Balmer gone completely nuts??

E.D. - With the first Beta you could reenable the start menu with I think a 3rd party app. MS disabled that ability and you can't get rid of metro anymore or change it to the "more familiar" interface. While there is still a desktop, it's not the same and you still have to go through Metro to get to it.

*rubbing crystal ball* I'm getting a vision.....I see....clouds.....and......penguins....yes....penguins everywhere.....and.....a bald headed man......he's.....he's crying.....his face is in his hands....his name starts....with.....an S I think.....Stan....no....Steph....no....Steve that's it......and he's holding a sign......I can't make it out.......wait....it's becoming clearer.......it says....."Will destroy your company as CEO for food, anything helps".

It is almost like they are trying to get people to embrace the core installation of Windows Server by forcing them to use a horrible for server UI.

It is almost like they are trying to get people to embrace the core installation of Windows Server by forcing them to use a horrible for server UI.

i would rather use core myself.

not a big fan of UI on my servers :) i've grown used to it on the penguin :thup:

and the core verson of server is a joke too because it still has to load a UI and run Explorer granted its less resources than using the legacy UI or even metro, but still .....

and the core verson of server is a joke too because it still has to load a UI and run Explorer granted its less resources than using the legacy UI or even metro, but still .....

I'm glad that I am not the only person who thinks it's just about silly that they basically just removed the UI shell to put up a command line prompt :)

I haven't really had to do much with core installs; haven't really had a reason to go core over full yet.

im sticking with 08 r2 enterprise lol at work were still rocking the server 03 works fine cept the idiots who set it up didnt setup a domain controller so half of the computers are all wacked and i cant get them to switch over to the domain now that i have it setup lol

Last edited:
I'm glad that I am not the only person who thinks it's just about silly that they basically just removed the UI shell to put up a command line prompt :)

I haven't really had to do much with core installs; haven't really had a reason to go core over full yet.

its like that in hyper v too :rofl: i hate hyper V with a passion, some people at work love it.

VMWare is much more rock solid, and for a reason.

Hyper V - install an OS, then install your virtual environment, seems a** backwards?

i have 2012 in a VM running now, and it boots to the desktop, not a metro interface but i do still find the server manager a little clumsy.. but some of those new features in 2012 may make me learn how to use it!

I have a spare server box lying around and I'm downloading the full server 2012 now... THANK YOU TECHNET! and of course the full win 8 pro which will go on my extra SSD so we will see. I was very unimpressed with the RC but I will give the full versions a go for about a month and we will see what happens.

Well, i have server 2012 into a test production box at work and i can actually say.. i think it is growing on me!

Confirmed, i dont mind it... using server manager now is a breeze really, and once you make your shortcuts to things, it is like 2008 R2!

Back