• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED windows taskbar toolbars location

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shant

im trying to copy the taskbar shortcuts i have on one pc to another, where are they located? i don't want to redo them one by one, is there an easy route? i hope its not registry related because i can't boot into the windows of the one where the shortcuts are located

Assuming the OS is either Vista or Win7, your user accounts taskbar toolbars are saved in the following registry location...

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop

... the sub-key of which would need to be exported (backed up as a *.reg file), then merged into the registry of the new PC.

yes but how can i retrieve the registry key when i cannot log into the windows that has the shortcuts in its registry ?

no tool to browse it? where is the registry located exactly? the ram ?

Just in case someone else is looking for Quick Launch shortcuts on Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\[insert user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

well, it seems that you can load hives from registry editor, tried it, didn't succeed, i probably could have but it looks like it needs a few hours which i don't have, im pretty sure i can do it if i give it enough time, anyway thanks, you can actually browse another registry editor

What good does loading the hive do you if you can't export the key to a partition or drive that's accessible?

run regedit.exe, click on hkey_local_machine, then click file menu then press load hive, browse "windows\system32\config" and select the right file from there, which are the folders hkey-localmachine, user etc...
from there you can browse the registry hive then export the key you want, then i guess you can import them somewhere else,or at least re create them

Nice... thanks for returning to post the solution. I knew you could load the hives from the RC, but I wasn't aware you could export specific keys to a location other than the root directory.

Back