• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update Error on XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheHutchTTU

So a little back story.

I decided that I wanted to get my laptop (Dell Inspiron) up and running (useful for fantasy football season) after it being neglected for a couple years. So I found my XP SP2 disc, reinstalled OS, and updated Dell drivers through their website using service tag. I then proceeded to download and install SP3 through M$'s website. Assuming there would be a gazillion Windows Update button and received the error below. I thought it might be that IE needed to be updated, didn't work. Installed .NET 3.5 SP1, didn't work. Scoured Google for answers, nothing. Help! :bang head

Windows Update Error.JPG

You've got what burned on a CD/DVD? XP SP3? That installed fine. My problem is when I go to Windows Update, it opens IE and gives me that error.

Oh, I mis-read. Yes SP3 in disc.

Which IE are you trying to update. I'm won't say I'm sure, but I think XP supports up to IE8/9 or so, nothing later.

Back