• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows vista laptop HD errors from chkdsk keep repeating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

My windows vista laptop is working fine. I usually run chkdsk /f every so often and when I did this time, chkdsk said I had several corrupt files which it supposedly deleted. Included in the list of faulty files was regedit.exe.mui along with several other .mui files. After rebooting and running chkdsk again, the same files are reported to be corrupt and fixed. I then ran chkdsk /r, same result, no bad sectors but bad files deleted.

Thinking this was a HD corruption error I copied the HD to a new larger HD and then ran chkdsk again. The same errors appear, something like 50 corrupt files that are deleted. Windows Vista boots up slowly as if its recovering from some kine of error and then the chkdsk deleted files are back again.

Any idea what is going on? What is regedit.exe.mui used for? How are files deleted but then restored.

I also ran sfc /scannow which reports all is well with operating system.

Back