• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Google is definatly moving into the picture, but they havent acted yet. Microsoft is still much more powerfull, and if they really wanted to they could take on google before its too late and they are level with M$

Expectations on Vista...

1) Graphically, it will attempt (and fail) to rip off Mac OS X.
2) It will render obsolete all OpenGL-based graphics hardware and force OpenGL applications to work in software mode only. (Maybe, but possible.)
3) It will feature the same flaws features that the other Windows kernels have had in the name of backward compatibility.
4) It will be absolutely unportable to other architectures.
5) It will render your Microsoft-based applications (such as Office) obsolete, requiring expensive upgrades.
6) It will be bloated with even more buggy but irrevocably integrated features.
7) It will have DRM, or some other hideous thing besides what's included on this list.

This is mostly a joke, but sometimes it does happen. :)

Honestly, Vista isnt that bad. (I may or may not have it right now ;)) The start menu changes are great, they help alot. Also it is alot easier to use. And I dont see many errr rip-offs from OSX

It is very simple...MS will release Vista. We will all get a copy from wherever. We will use it like most of us use XP. Anything we dont like we will change...we will always find a way to change what we dont like.

It is as simple as that. Recently, I have been reading alot about the drm, security features, etc. Great...nice too. In my opinion is no use badmouthing it, if u dont like then change it urself or go and use linux or a mac.

Yes, there are thing about XP I still dont like and I am sure in vista we will have even more things we dont like but like my current setup, with time there will be software to make xp the way u want. People expect too many things.

Most of us are tech savvy, we should be looking at how we are going to make the way we want instead of crying over what we are getting? Do u think they are going change it just for u?

I like many people, wish they would create a vista version geared towards the hardcore tech savvy people...what would be a really kool feature is if they allowed the core kernel, etc to be virtualised per cpu core.

I think features is not the most important aspect of an OS anymore, its about security. In this respect, MS really will have to do something pretty awesome. Corporates will not be looking at vista with a smile, xp is good enough as it is.
Imagine if there was a OS with all the security of say linux but the simple know how of XP. Personally, I dont mind the if the OS needs a really powerful PC to run it properly, if it does everything I want then I am kool with that.

Maybe I have gone off in a tangent but its just the way I see it. Call me simple minded but you are too clever and gifted to be worrying over this.

What is worrying me the most is vista in my eyes will not be Vista until the second SP2 is out for it, which is sometime.

...People...just keep doing what your doing and think nothing of it...

Audioaficionado said:
What will Vista have eye candy wise that OSX and 'nix don't already have?

Well, it can run on home built computers and will play games. Thats the only reason I run Windows. If I could build a computer that runs OSX as easily as I can windows then I would. But also, OSX doesnt have hardly as much support for games, same goes for nix. If hardware manufactures started taking nix more seriously and also game designers, then hell I wouldnt be running windows. So I guess this is just microsoft collecting more money, because all the eye candy doesnt do anything in the long run. Ill prolly stay with XP as long as possible.

Audioaficionado said:
What will Vista have eye candy wise that OSX and 'nix don't already have?
Nothing that I am going to care about. It will take me all of about five minutes to say, "Ooh, that looks pretty" and turn it all off in favor of the Win2k "Classic" look. Performance is too important in my line of work to waste on pretty graphics.
As with XP and Luna, Vista and Aero will probably be reserved for people who don't know any better, don't know how to turn it off, or have too much computing horsepower and not enough to do with it...

Security wise, There are a large number of programs included that keep viruses and spyware out, M$ is taking this very seriously

WaTTz said:
Well, it can run on home built computers and will play games. Thats the only reason I run Windows. If I could build a computer that runs OSX as easily as I can windows then I would. But also, OSX doesnt have hardly as much support for games, same goes for nix. If hardware manufactures started taking nix more seriously and also game designers, then hell I wouldnt be running windows. So I guess this is just microsoft collecting more money, because all the eye candy doesnt do anything in the long run. Ill prolly stay with XP as long as possible.
Except for OSX, you can install Unix and Linux (nix) on home built computers. You can also game on Linux. There are lots of games ported to Linux or that can be made to run in Linux. Linux is free as in free beer and freedom of choices. If you favorite game isn't supported in 'nix, then you'll have to stick with Microsoft.

Why would I want Vista?

Counter-Strike runs on windows, nothing else. Not like I'm going to be paying for it, that's what the MSDNAA is for.

Why? Because soon, new programs will only run on this new OS....Remember XP?

I don't know alot about vista because I have not tried it yet, but these screenshots at the start of the thread look nice.

Hopefully, if they impliment some kind of copy protection in vista, it will protect people as opposed to what alot of people think it will do, which is to infringe upon thier pursuit of life liberty and happyness.

Perhaps moving forward from 32-bit to 64-bit is one of the main focuses of vista, and probably one of the reasons most people will want to switch. Microsoft has been putting significant effort into thier research and development since XP was released in 2000. Much of the things they have spent effort on in order to improve the use of the computer will probably never make it into XP.

My biggest concern is it costing $400 for the good version of it. I intend to build a Vista machine latr this year. Maybe early next year. Unless it is like what I am fearing in the pricing. Then I may just hold out on XP until the price drops or I do.

Dang, if they want 400 bucks !

We all know microsoft NEVER drops thier prices until a product is completely obsolete. Theres no way i'm getting an OEM version either. Might as well just buy upgrade disk.

Don't get all antsy on the price. There will be like more than one tier to pick from. I am unsure of the actual final price. The basic will hardly have anything but surfing if I remeber right. Once you get the top end one you get all the goodies. Heck, they may have a $99 dollar pick.

Enablingwolf said:
Don't get all antsy on the price. There will be like more than one tier to pick from. I am unsure of the actual final price. The basic will hardly have anything but surfing if I remeber right. Once you get the top end one you get all the goodies. Heck, they may have a $99 dollar pick.

I am hearing the same thing XP pro retail was 300.00 bucks and OEM was 150.00 at the time of release.

So I am expecting the same.

I will buy a drive for vista aand have a duel boot system.
Why not what do I got to lose.

Back