• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After reading all that.....can anybody tell me where i can download a useable version of the Windows Vista (Latest Build) to test and play with.....no harm right...at most i format the hard drive and keep it back in the drawer :) I don't seem to be able to find a useable link to download the whole OS. Anyone here can help me with that?

Scann69 said:
After reading all that.....can anybody tell me where i can download a useable version of the Windows Vista (Latest Build) to test and play with.....no harm right...at most i format the hard drive and keep it back in the drawer :) I don't seem to be able to find a useable link to download the whole OS. Anyone here can help me with that?

If you have a subscription to MSDN you can get the DVD. It is kind of invite only at this time. Otherwise your going to have to wait.

Enablingwolf said:
If you have a subscription to MSDN you can get the DVD. It is kind of invite only at this time. Otherwise your going to have to wait.

Well, can anybody invite me to join the MSDN? How do i get invited :p Am interested in testing out the Beta of Vista.

Unless you have a legit reason and sign the NDA your chances of an invite are slim. You can get other things related to the not yet released OS. There was a MS guy floating around a few months ago who gave a few out. He hasn't been around here in a bit AFAIK.

There seems to be a *torrent of folks who would like to get the OS also. If everyone had a copy, all the hype would be lost.

Enablingwolf said:
Unless you have a legit reason and sign the NDA your chances of an invite are slim. You can get other things related to the not yet released OS. The was a MS guy floating around a few months ago who gave a few out. he hasn't been around in a bit AFAIK.

There seems to be a *torrent of folks who would like to get the OS also. If everyone had a copy, all the hype would be lost.

Understood. Well, i'm just interested in IT stuff and would like to try out the Vista like how i did with XP (Beta 1, 2 & RC). I know i can download it from torrent sites...which i actually found but that's not how i want to get it. Actually want to be registered so i can get future updates and since i have spare hard drive lying around :p

Don't mind me asking but what is "Benefit Access Number" and how do i get this number? MCSE?

Windows Vista Beta 1 is an early build for IT administrators and developers in the Windows community. It is available in English to select Beta 1 testers through the technical beta program, as well as to MSDN and TechNet subscribers. There will be other opportunities to test drive Windows Vista at a later date so please be sure to check back again later.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/betadist.mspx

Enablingwolf said:
Windows Vista Beta 1 is an early build for IT administrators and developers in the Windows community. It is available in English to select Beta 1 testers through the technical beta program, as well as to MSDN and TechNet subscribers. There will be other opportunities to test drive Windows Vista at a later date so please be sure to check back again later.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/betadist.mspx

Yes I have the TechNet pack I am registered for OEM, So we get this in our packs.

I yet loaed the beta.

Enablingwolf said:

lol i don't think he got it.

Well soon enough the OS will be in retail chains. I think that it will start peeking in June or so for the big OEM to get ready to ship. Heck my guess is as good as M$ since they even have the contest for the ship date. lol

MS is keeping most of the cool features obscure so that everyone will be happy with what they put in and not what they took out. If you notice there is not a whole lot of talk. Just a few select sites talking about it. then we nly get slim glances of it. M$ is doing this on purpose. If the cat was out of the bag, well everyone will not want it. There is still some minor debates on how some features will work. Hardware also, but as we get closer to gold. More comes our way. Right before it goes Gold, we should have some limited releases.

Tight lipped and greedy on releasing Vista MS they are.(Bad Yoda impression.)

I'll let all you early adopters play with Vista Gold for awhile and report/complain on the DRM affects.

I'll just stay with XP until Vista SP1 comes out.

just torrent it if you want it....i know someone that did that *hint*hint*

5270 is rather nice too....not slow and buggy like previous builds....if ya got an extra drive just dual boot the sucker

ludeboy12 said:
just torrent it if you want it....i know someone that did that *hint*hint*

5270 is rather nice too....not slow and buggy like previous builds....if ya got an extra drive just dual boot the sucker
Is Microsoft as heavy handed as the RIAA and MPAA? I think you'd be much better off waiting for a legit copy.

How does the DRM that is said to be integrated into Vista correspond to the DRM that will be built-in to future AMD and Intel chips? Why exactly does there need to be a hardware solution if the operation system is taking care of it?

Joe

Audioaficionado said:
Is Microsoft as heavy handed as the RIAA and MPAA? I think you'd be much better off waiting for a legit copy.

No.

but yes, just wait for a legit copy with no worries of "extra" suprising being in it, especially from torrents.

i dont see the point of these people who think they are bad *** cause they got Longhorn Alpha 1!!! or something - WOW your special, you got a buggy, incomplete O/S!!

MightyJoe said:
How does the DRM that is said to be integrated into Vista correspond to the DRM that will be built-in to future AMD and Intel chips? Why exactly does there need to be a hardware solution if the operation system is taking care of it?

Joe
Future?

The future is already here. All dual core Intel chips have it now and who knows what unpublished DRM is already in the latest batches of AMD64. All they are waiting for is an OS that will enable the hardware DRM.

i maybe able to find out, my friend was loaned a copy of Vista 5270 today (his friend at work received through his works subsciption), he told him i have an intel DUO laptop so he said for me to try it out on here.

Does anyone know any way i could test the DRM features?

Back