• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows will not boot after oc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikecoscia

Registered
I was messing around with the multi and FSB. Everything was working fine and decided to put everything back to stock for the nite. WHen I rebooted everything posted fine and when the windows logo should have came up.....nothing. I tried resetting the cmos, didn't work. I thought maybe the HDD got wiped clean. So i tried to reformat, however windows was still on the drive. I am at a loss guys and pretty upset if I loose all my info. Ideas please....

Sounds like some system file got corrupted, usually happens to me around 237x12 mhz, a reinstall is the best option.

cetoole said:
Sounds like some system file got corrupted, usually happens to me around 237x12 mhz, a reinstall is the best option.

I would hold off on the reinstall. Insert your OS disk and boot from the CD-ROM then go and try to repair the install first before you re-install and probably cause more problems. If you can get it to boot to windows that is great if not.

Yank the drive put it in another computer. If you don't have one bring it to a friends house. Have them hook it up as a slave and copy all your files. Then go home and format the drive and do a clean install.

OKay I will give the repair a shot tomrrow, to tired to do it now. I had no idea you could corrupt a HDD with an oc. :bang head

Okay i tried repairing the boot sector. I am now getting something on bootup it now says corrupt or mising windows/system32/config/system. However everytime i repair it goes into recovery console, not actually repairing windows?

you need to ignore that, continue as if you were doing a fresh install, it will (after a few screens) give you the option of reformatting or repairing the existing installation of windows, tats the option you need

Back