• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows won't let me do anything. (XP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K1llnyou

Registered
I recently re-installed Windows XP (SP3) for someone on a Gateway M465-E Laptop, it works up to the boot. From this point on, Windows won't let me do anything even though I am an administrator on said laptop. I can not open any internet, system settings; I can't even check the system specs. Anyone know what is going on? In mean time- I'll install a different version of windows to see if that helps. :mad:

What do you mean you it "won't let you do anything"? Specifically speaking, what happens when you try to run these programs? Does nothing happen? Do you get an error? Can you open Task Manager (ctrl + alt + del; or ctrl + shift + esc)? What changed on the system, in detail? Did this not work right after a restore or did you do something in between (install programs, use it, etc)?

We will need more detail on what is going on to be able to assist. I would also suggest being as verbose as possible when explaining your issue so I don't need to ask a ton of questions.

It gives me an error that says 90% of the time- "Windows can not open the program, you may not have proper access/privilege to do so"; it's along those lines, but I believe you get the point. I can open task manager, Computer, and control panel; well really I can open any file path, I just can't run any programs or open anything in control panel-wise. Just task manager. I re-installed windows since the original Windows file was corrupt beyond repair, and it was just time to re-install it for the fact it was changing hands any-who. Also, sometimes when I try top open a program it says "Windows can't find the specified file" even though I'm at it deepest path point; I've even tried to run it through the "run-Prompt" if you understand; by typing in the applications file name.

Was it doing that before? If not, what was the previous issue? Have you tested for stability and verified that the hard drive isn't failing?

Can you get the exact error message? It is pretty important to know what it says verbatim.

I originally thought this was going to be an infection, but going on your most recent post, I'm thinking hardware failure.

Alright, I didn't think it would be needed; but it appears to be of somewhat importance. So I'm fixing this PC for someone else, but how it works is the person moves cars for their job; and anything they find, they can keep. So I can turn it on, but when I did-I got blue screen when Xp was loading and I was able to quickly read the problem; "BOOT_MNGR_FAIL" or something along that line, maybe it said corrupt instead of fail. So I re-installed Windows, and the installation ran flawless, but in the Windows environment, I was receiving the errors. I'm inclined to believe the Hard Drive works since I was able to transfer stuff over to documents. Which leads me to mention that I wasn't able to right click said file (From USB) and select "Send to Documents"- I had to manually open Documents and drag-transfer it. Upon right click on the file to transfer to Said Laptop, I only got 2 options--"Open" and "Properties". So there's a piece of info, I'll update on the 2 exact errors when I get home as I'm not their right now.

I don't think the right click options are important. If you get a blue screen in the future that just flashes and goes away, spam F8 once it restarts. You will get a menu for Windows, select "Do not reboot on system failure". This will keep the screen up until you restart it.

Sorry for this late reply. I have been a bit busy with my own PC and school. Anyways, I haven't gotten a blue screen since I installed the new Windows; which is the one not letting me do anything. I have tried other copies of XP, but none of them work. I know it may sound strange; but I should mention this. When I was trying to install the new XP, the CD drive kept ejecting itself. I say this is weird because it only ejects itself when I was trying to install a different Windows, but not in the environment of Windows itself.

Back