• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Wont update (not just windows update,..everything) any help would be apprecia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AaronP

Windows Wont update (not just windows update,..everything) any help would be apprecia

Hi, (gotta start off politely :) )
I'm currently running Service Pack 1, I noticed that when I tried to update to service pack 2, my computer wouldnt let me do it. Naturally i assumed a bug from online update (it being so new at the time, I gave up trying to download it) so I orded a free CD. Few weeks later, i got the CD, and then I attempted to update using that route, surprise surprise it wouldn't update there either. So I gave up on that. So months and months went by and i noticed, how come my nortons live update hasnt updated since august 04, it being december 04, so I tried running live update, surprise surprise it wouldn't run... that was odd. Later on Media player 10 came out, I wanted to update to that, but it wouldn't update there either surprise surprise. Even my need for speed underground which I updated the patch for during the summer, when a new patch came out I tried to update using the update protocol it comes with, doesnt work anymore. So my computer can't update it self, even with service pack 1 updates, is this due to either my wireless router config? OR is it due to some busted *** hotfix that I might've installed? This is really pissing me off, the only way I updated my nortons was creating a new windows account, and MANUALLY applying the update. The updates wont automatically update on a new account, but SOME will update manually. However, I tried auto / manual updates of my Admin account, and nothing happens.

Is there any soloution to this problem without formatting?

That's awfully strange. . .

More information would be good, such as what specifically happens when you try to update something. Live Update would be a good, easy test - does it just sit there? Does it give you a message like "Could not connect etc etc"?

Could be something a simple as a software firewall / antispyware program not allowing software to be installed, or something like the account you are using on your computer does not have admin rights.

no it doesnt, and the funny thing is spybot updates easily. Nothing else does, media player and what not. For example i tried to install a manual windows update it said "could not install, make sure u got cryptography runninG" itrs weird, im sure its a bloody hotfix or something./

Microsoft has been having hit and miss service with Windows Update for the past week. A lot of Windows 98 machines aren't wanting to update but every so often are hours of trying one will update.

Have you tweaked your services.msc? If you configure them incorrectly it will make some items update real funky if at all. Once I read the cryptographic service gave you an error during the update, I suspected this may be the case. If you don't have and now want a stock setup for services head over to http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm and he has a pretty good list of what is a stock setup. I might suggest you try this, then try to do the updates, and see if it helps. You can create a restore point before this in case it don't help you and you want to revert to your usual services settings. :D

yes enablingwolf you beat me to it, check your services and be sure that none of the windows update ones are disabled. Also check your firewall, there really isnt any other possibilities.
goodluck

Like the others suggested, check your services. I had the update service turned off once and Windows update wouldn't work until I turned it back on.

Norton and other various software uses the similar services as Windows update. Check out the link and see about making a hardware profile and use that to trouble shoot your rig. It is pretty good way to do services and not have the risk of redoing everything. Plus it is sooo cool to have a gaming setup/Networked setup. It can be more than just trouble shooting. Or create a restore point. If you want further instructions on this I can provide on request.
I am mostly sure it is a service issue though. If not we can go to the next step. A good back up, right after you install windows is always worth the few minutes/bucks it costs you. I can never stress this enough. A full format is rarely needed, expecially if you have a backup image, i.e. - minutes vs. hours.

This 'smells' so much like a virus, many of which turn off any type of 'update' feature for the OS and anti-virus software. If you have the ability to d/l the latest intelligent virus updates from symantec (norton) on a pc and then burn it to cd and then transfer that cd to 'said problem pc' I would try that, and then run a virus scan in safe mode.

im not sure

It may be a virus, because nortons, though not updating was able to locate a few torjans here and there (how did they break through the wall :( ), and I managed to kil em off but updating through other means than directly. Im downloading on other comp and ready to burn and smart scan.

In terms of services, they're pretty much defaulted with most of them with the proper settings, Im going to continue trying, because this affects a lot of things.

AaronP said:
In terms of services, they're pretty much defaulted with most of them with the proper settings, Im going to continue trying, because this affects a lot of things.

Just check the "Automatic Update" service if its not on auto, put it on auto, then after you update just turn it back off if you wish. Also make sure it's started to. And sorry to hear about the virus news, don't worry that happens sometimes, as long as you were able to remove them that's all that matters. :)

if it wont update from a CD - it is %99 of the time an illegal copy of windows or serial key used...

SP2 blacklisted ALOT of serial keys that do work on SP1.

BUT since you are having this problem with alot of apps it does seem weird - have you tried a reinstall of Norton at least?

it cant be the serial, i've used the same serial on 3 other computers all sucessfully updating to SP2, its just this system which ironically is the main rig. Im going to try reinstalling nortons and what not, maybe that'll do it, if not its back to service tweaking.

Update, I can update internet security 04 pro, with MANUAL updates through symantec website, using live update everything updates besides definitions saying there was some sort of error (This update failed because it tried to overwrite a file that was in use. Close all of your Symantec applications and run LiveUpdate again.) Now i find that hard to believe because I turned it all off via task manager.
I can not however, (sorry i didnt mention this earlier) use system restore regardless of it being enabled or not. I cannot for any reason restore to previous points. Im going to default all my services and running a full virus scan. Two minutes into the scan i've got "1 detected" so thats hopefully a good sign.

AaronP said:
it cant be the serial, i've used the same serial on 3 other computers all sucessfully updating to SP2, its just this system which ironically is the main rig. Im going to try reinstalling nortons and what not, maybe that'll do it, if not its back to service tweaking.

Your only allowed to use your purchased serial on 1 computer, not 3.

AaronP said:
Update, I can update internet security 04 pro, with MANUAL updates through symantec website, using live update everything updates besides definitions saying there was some sort of error (This update failed because it tried to overwrite a file that was in use. Close all of your Symantec applications and run LiveUpdate again.) Now i find that hard to believe because I turned it all off via task manager.
I can not however, (sorry i didnt mention this earlier) use system restore regardless of it being enabled or not. I cannot for any reason restore to previous points. Im going to default all my services and running a full virus scan. Two minutes into the scan i've got "1 detected" so thats hopefully a good sign.

I guess it would be too much to format and start from scratch - sounds like something has really fubar'd your system :(

Mr.Guvernment said:
I guess it would be too much to format and start from scratch - sounds like something has really fubar'd your system :(

I would do a re-install of Windows before doing someting drastic as a format.

it cant be the serial, i've used the same serial on 3 other computers all sucessfully updating to SP2

You know that that is an improper use of your license, right?

It's entirely possible that your serial number has been blacklisted, though it's certainly not the first thing I would suspect.

Back