• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows XP and 7 installed on same computer...need some help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALIENZ!

Registered
Okay so I had two operating systems installed on two hard drives on my old computer. I recently built a new computer and took the hard drive with XP on it and formatted it, and installed windows 7 on it. Now I'm in a bind because my old computer won't start windows up. Before I removed the hard drive, it would let me choose which version of windows I wanted to boot. Now it's saying "restart and select proper boot device". I've checked all the hard drive connections, and they're good, but it won't boot. Is there anyway to fix this? There's files I need on the hard drive still installed on my old computer. Thanks in advance for the help!

If the old computer's operating system is Windows 7, put in the install disk, click "Repair your computer" at the first screen, click "Startup repair", and let it run. This should fix your issue.

Basically, your bootloader was on your XP disk, which you removed and formatted. Without it, the system won't boot, as you discovered. Doing the startup repair should restore the bootloader to that disk.

If the old computer's operating system is Windows 7, put in the install disk, click "Repair your computer" at the first screen, click "Startup repair", and let it run. This should fix your issue.

Basically, your bootloader was on your XP disk, which you removed and formatted. Without it, the system won't boot, as you discovered. Doing the startup repair should restore the bootloader to that disk.

Thanks, got it working.

Back