• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP unusable after IE8 update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

We rolled out the IE8 update for the remaining XP machines we have and since then it appears that a lot of the machines are experiencing slow downs and non responsiveness when attempting to save to the network. Some users get error messages about paths not being found/available when trying to save/rename/delete files on the network. I'm not quite sure if that is the root cause of that, but that is the only then that changed as far as I know. I'm going to try and uninstall the IE8 update and see if it fixes things.

Has anyone else run into that issue?

You may be encountering different file structures which can bring some headaches. FAT vs. NTFS may be an issue. Did you encounter any hiccups during the install? Missing links? "file can't be found" pop-ups?

There was a time when I found IE 8 so bad that I actually switched to Fire-Fox Mozilla.

At-least they keep updating Fire Fox to newer versions for XP.
I was just finding problems when Running IE 8 on simple web surfing.

I also noticed a problem when trying to "re-activate" windows XP due to hardware upgrades and changes because it relies on an IE that's older than IE 8 which is what I have been told and I deleted all my Hot-Fix Uninstallers so some sort of problem is going down with that stuff.

I ended up forcing my legit XP install to activate itself (M$ don't care they are dropping support pretty soon).

However I eventually caught a virus (first time in many years) and ended up doing a "repair install" and all my issues with IE 8 went away after repair install and updating all the patches (never checked if my re-activation is fixed btw).

If it wasn't for the virus I would have still been with problems in XP and IE 8 because i did not want do a repair install (too lazy).

LoL thats all folks!

Well it appears that IE8 was not the problem. Symantec endpoint on the file server was interfering with file access to it on XP machines. We have disabled SAV for now until we can figure out what is going on. I don't understand why it's only affecting XP machines and not Vista/Win7.

Well it appears that IE8 was not the problem. Symantec endpoint on the file server was interfering with file access to it on XP machines.

Every time I have Symantec software on my machine, there is always some issue that stops something from working. If I see Norton's - I run....

Every time I have Symantec software on my machine, there is always some issue that stops something from working. If I see Norton's - I run....

LOL, Not really my choice what the company decides to use. I've actually removed sav completely from my work machine.

Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support team.

@medo145 - SAV stands for 'Symantec Antivirus'. On July 4, 2012, SAV 10.x and SCS 3.x reached End of Support Life (EOSL). This includes ALL maintenance packs and patches.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection, which as of today is version 12.1 RU2.

Check this article to know more about it: https://www-secure.symantec.com/con...x-and-symantec-client-security-3x-has-reached

Let me know if you required any help about 'Symantec Endpoint Protection' software.

Thanks and Regards,
Chetan Savade
Technical Support Engineer
End Point Security
Enterprise Technical Support
www.symantec.com

Back