• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wired: Can GTA save the PS3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wired is retarded. Once FF13 comes out I'm buying a PS3. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just got Crisis Core on the PSP and OMFG is it cool.

Wired hasn't been relevant in over ten years. Soon they'll write: "Can blood in Mortal Kombat I save the Genesis?"

Wired hasn't been relevant in over ten years. Soon they'll write: "Can blood in Mortal Kombat I save the Genesis?"

LMAO!

I own the 360 and the PS3. I really think this is the year for the PS3. I know most of my friends that are buying a console now or very soon are going for the PS3. A bunch of them are going to jump on the MGS4 bundle when it comes out. I'm going to sell my 60GB to one of my buddies and get that bundle.

I still like my 360 and I can't wait for GOW2 this fall but if a title is available on both consoles I'm getting it for the PS3. That's just my opinion though...:)

360 is still by far and away more popular console and sony still couldnt **** a decent first party or exclusive title if it tried, mind you all is quiet on the 360 release front too there is gta4 on both systems of course. Wii fit and mario kart wii are wiping the floor in our store and smash bros brawl is creating a huge hype

onoez, we has a fanboy! :eek:

I'm guessing you've never played a PS3, amirite? What about exclusives? I understand that your Kmart is selling Mario Kart quite well, as it is everywhere, but to say that PS3 "couldn't *** a decent first party or exclusive" is... well, ignorant. The latest? GT5:p. While the 360 release front may be silent, it does have GoW2 for it, but not much else coming soon.

GT5 doesn't count. It's a $40 demo.

Gears of War 2...how about Fable 2? Halo Wars is coming, Supreme Commander is being ported to the 360.

And what does PS3 have again? Home? MGS4 (which might not even be that good)? Final Fantasy?

How can a multi-platform game save a console? The only good thing the PS3 has going for it right now is it's use as an overpriced blu-ray player. That's it. People need to check their facts before they spout off that the PS3 has more exclusives coming than the 360 this year. It's just not true. Sony's gaming division lost ~$800 MILLION dollars last year, they're not making that up any time soon. Sorry.

EDIT: I forgot Halo: Chronicles, Banjo Kazooie 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human.

Last edited:
GT5 doesn't count. It's a $40 demo.

Gears of War 2...how about Fable 2? Halo Wars is coming, Supreme Commander is being ported to the 360.

Now you're just being silly...

"SUPREME COMMANDER?!?!" A two year old PC game that didn't even sell all that great on the PC? And you honestly believe MGS4 isn't going to sell and while you're on the subject of games that won't even be out this year (Halo Wars, etc, etc) might as well throw God of War 3 up there as well. But you probably don't think that's going to sell either...

Ya know you don't have to badmouth another console just to prove how much you like yours. I personally have owned all three. We should all be doing something more constructive... like making fun of AMD. Don't you remember how great THAT is? j/k :p

i think the ps3 will start to peak as well, but the truth is that it's taking them too long to peak at all (bluray dominance war took too long, and will be eclipsed by downloadable media rather quickly)......and they just don't (not even in the future) have enough high quality titles; they have some, no doubt, but you can't run a console on demos and infinite trailers for MGS4.........i mean, wasn't that the hype they LAUNCHED the ps3 on? you can't run on hype; all the while xbox continues to rack up great titles and great online support........much of which because of MS's ludicrous spending to claim exclusives

i'm a 360 owner, but i really don't wan to be, and i sure as hell am no fanboy. i despise MS; i'm a linux dude, and i'd GLADLY drop my ybox and pickup a ps3, but the games just aren't there for me, and what's more so, my friends have xbox's and i want to play with them. i'm hoping in a year or two that the ps3 will be rocking (and significantly cheaper) and i can pick one up and have the bluray i've been wanting; the ps3 is such a nicer piece of hardware to me: more reliable, more quiet, sexier...........i just wish it had more, better, games

Is this like a weekly thing?
Wasnt there a definate trend last week, that proved it was all over, when the PS3 outsold the 360 for three months?
Until of course, the 360 outsold the PS3 last month...

Now the PS3 is "primed" to "take over", apparently.
When will the PS3 outsell the 360 in total units?
When will it outsell the Wii?
When will it break 20million units?

When it does that, it starts to look like its primed to take the market, not when Wired blogs say so.

Now, if in a month Sony announce sales of 2 or 3 million PS3's on the back of GTA and MGS, and Microsoft gets very quiet, well, it then might start to look like its all over.
But even then, Micro could start a serious price war, lets be honest, the Elite is an arcade with a 120gig hard drive.
360 elites at £180 and built in wi-fi? That would cause Sony serious problems, considering they are still paying almost double that to build the things. Speculation of course, would MS do it, who knows, but then, we dont know how these few months sales are going to be like either

There was one reason why I didn't buy a PS3 a few months ago and went to the darkside...the price tag. If sony had priced the PS3 a little lower than £300, maybe £240 then I would have bought it but at the time the 360 had more titles and a lower price and now I'm regretting my decision. I wish I bought a PS3, there are so many games I want this that are PS3 exclusives it isn't even funny.

The only good thing the PS3 has going for it right now is it's use as an overpriced blu-ray player.

I don't think its overpriced; sure you can get another for much less, but ps3 currently has the most robust feature set, whether discs use it or not. ;) Also its a Blu-ray player that 'comes with' a gaming console. :) Not a bad Blu choice in my book.

I think the real question should be Who Cares??

IF you spend less time talking about consoles you can have more time spent playing them or doing something else. Go go

I think the real question should be Who Cares??

IF you spend less time talking about consoles you can have more time spent playing them or doing something else. Go go

I second this motion. Let the stupidity end HERE!

PS3 is here to stay, it is not going anywhere. So is the xbo360. As long as there is competition, its the consumers who will enjoy the benefits.

As for blu-ray vs downloadable media (i'm assuming you are referring to HD movie), I will say Blu-ray. Have you ever notice how much Comcast charges for a HD movie? $3.99 for a regular movie, and $5.99 for HD movie, plus tax. I think this price is ridiculous. Not only that, the selection sucks balls. Right now, you can subscribe to Netflix or Blockbuster online for a low month subscription fee, and you can get more movies in Blu-ray. I have the cheapest sub with netflix at $8.99 a month, and I average a movie a week. Just 2 HD movies alone from Comcast is already more expensive than my netflix monthly fee. For your information, Netflix do stream movies online (via PC only and non-HD). It's unlimited and part of the package. It will be a long time later before the internet with live stream and downloadable media will replace a 50GB disc.

PS3 is here to stay, it is not going anywhere. So is the xbo360. As long as there is competition, its the consumers who will enjoy the benefits.

As for blu-ray vs downloadable media (i'm assuming you are referring to HD movie), I will say Blu-ray. Have you ever notice how much Comcast charges for a HD movie? $3.99 for a regular movie, and $5.99 for HD movie, plus tax. I think this price is ridiculous. Not only that, the selection sucks balls. Right now, you can subscribe to Netflix or Blockbuster online for a low month subscription fee, and you can get more movies in Blu-ray. I have the cheapest sub with netflix at $8.99 a month, and I average a movie a week. Just 2 HD movies alone from Comcast is already more expensive than my netflix monthly fee. For your information, Netflix do stream movies online (via PC only and non-HD). It's unlimited and part of the package. It will be a long time later before the internet with live stream and downloadable media will replace a 50GB disc.

HA! You think! I quit both Blockbuster and Netfix because they must own like ONE copy of each movie in BluRay or HD-DVD for ALL OF NORTH AMERICA as your chances of getting it or it moving out of Long Wait status was slim to none.

HA! You think! I quit both Blockbuster and Netfix because they must own like ONE copy of each movie in BluRay or HD-DVD for ALL OF NORTH AMERICA as your chances of getting it or it moving out of Long Wait status was slim to none.

That's weird. My brother has Netflix and he gets Blu-Ray's all the time.

+3 on ending the 360 Vs. PS3 debates. They are both great consoles. I think this is the most fun I've had on consoles since the Super Nintendo Vs. Genesis days.

That was during the WAR. After Toshiba threw in the towel, I dont have problem getting movies in Bluray. During that time, both netflix and blockbuster were actually surveying the demand on each format. Of course they found out Blu-ray is in way much higher demand (like 70% if I remember correctly), and they both announce to go Blu-ray exclusive, before Toshiba gave up.

onoez, we has a fanboy! :eek:

I'm guessing you've never played a PS3, amirite? What about exclusives? I understand that your Kmart is selling Mario Kart quite well, as it is everywhere, but to say that PS3 "couldn't *** a decent first party or exclusive" is... well, ignorant. The latest? GT5:p. While the 360 release front may be silent, it does have GoW2 for it, but not much else coming soon.

No no no, i actually work for the largest video game retail chain in the UK and europe, i own no console but have owned a 360 and a wii and bottom line i wont own a ps3 until more key titles are released and yes i have played on one, several times in fact, yeah the gt5 demo is beautiful but lets face it barring the actual full game and haze and mgs4 what else is there this year? our release schedules are updated weekly or as they are confirmed and i see nothing of note as of yet and we are talking about a console that is over 12 months old. I also sell the machines and read trade magazines such as MCV regularly and know that in order of hardware sold it reads 1.wii 2.360................3.ps3 bottom line if it was not for the playstation "fanboys" clinging to the brand this machine would already be deemed a failure and headed the way of the dreamcast. but like some of the other posters above have said who really cares apart from the "fanboys" possibly like yourself? ps3 owner are you?

I paid $500 for my PS3 and it was worth it. But I am a movie freak, so I wa all about the BluRay games be damned, they're just a bonus. I'm not like the others though, I've owned every video game system since the 2600 (except the Neo Geo).

We own both the 360 and PS3 (WII got sold off LOL) As far as gaming is concerned they get about the same usage right now but ofcourse the PS3 is used about twice as much if you include Bluray usage aswell.

Whomever stated that the PS3 is an overpriced Bluray player is smoking crack or something, it is a damn good Bluray player and you do realize stand alone Bluray players cost almost as much as a PS3 ??

Once the PS3's games list gets filled in aways I see the 360 becoming less desirable in our house atleast as the PS3 just brings more utility to the table.

Kinda funny and I have mentioned this befor but go check out Craiglist, you will see 20 used 360's being sold for every 1 PS3.....seems like ALOT of folks are dumping their 360's, you can get a heck of a deal right now atleast on our local one.

Last edited:
Back