• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless network for many business users: 2 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sounds like a good choice, he said it was good for him so far. if you do intend to flash wit dd-wrt remember though, flash with the micro then go mega if you want the extra goodies.

with the extras you can do alot of different stuff. as to what i'm not fully sure of, but he told me you can to a ton. obviously it has bandwidth monitoring and such

Question...Does your uncle own the building and want to supply internet to everyone or is he just doing it because he is a nice guy? do you have any idea on how many people may be connected at the same time? If he is a nice guy then the only person you should really worry about having a strong connection is Him...everyone else is getting a free-bee...

Its hard to make a decsion with alot of unknowns floating around...As far N or G...go N for future upgrades...everyone that is not running N will just connect at a slower rate but those with N wireless cards will connect at N speeds...

The question is How many people do you honestly think will be getting on and then you limit the bandwidth...no one should be torrenting and all the other good stuff you may do at home..so limit the bandwidth

Question...Does your uncle own the building and want to supply internet to everyone or is he just doing it because he is a nice guy? do you have any idea on how many people may be connected at the same time? If he is a nice guy then the only person you should really worry about having a strong connection is Him...everyone else is getting a free-bee...

Its hard to make a decsion with alot of unknowns floating around...As far N or G...go N for future upgrades...everyone that is not running N will just connect at a slower rate but those with N wireless cards will connect at N speeds...

The question is How many people do you honestly think will be getting on and then you limit the bandwidth...no one should be torrenting and all the other good stuff you may do at home..so limit the bandwidth

I'm not sure if he's going to charge extra for rent or not, but definitely we want it available to everyone there, so I want to make sure that it's not slow for anyone else.

With that said, is there I could limit the bandwidth per connection or something?

And... should I or shouldn't I use DD-WRT... was just thinking maybe I don't need it, but I do LOVE DD-WRT on my stuff. :)

putting a limit on the bandwidth would be determine by if he was going to charge rent or not...but since you are going to be the network ADMIN I would limit the bandwidth and block some other things...you wouldn't want the others at the site to just go crazy with the free internet and do things they wouldn't do on there own account...WRT would allow you to limit bandwidth..and I guess the network will just be OPEN with no security since you will not be there set up everyones laptop to a secured network...

putting a limit on the bandwidth would be determine by if he was going to charge rent or not...but since you are going to be the network ADMIN I would limit the bandwidth and block some other things...you wouldn't want the others at the site to just go crazy with the free internet and do things they wouldn't do on there own account...WRT would allow you to limit bandwidth..and I guess the network will just be OPEN with no security since you will not be there set up everyones laptop to a secured network...

I'll have to see... I'll have to ask my uncle if he wants it as a WiFi spot, or if he wants it ONLY for the businesses there.

How do I go about limiting torrents and whatnot? I know you can define what port you want to use if you download torrents...

Thanks so much guys!!!

I'll have to see... I'll have to ask my uncle if he wants it as a WiFi spot, or if he wants it ONLY for the businesses there.

How do I go about limiting torrents and whatnot? I know you can define what port you want to use if you download torrents...

Thanks so much guys!!!

you should be able to make a guest wifi, and maybe even block access to anything other than 80 / 443

yelp I would only give them access to email's and some surfing of the web....if they complain...they should get their on internet service....but check with the Uncle to see if he wants it a Hotspot or a private business net work..

yelp I would only give them access to email's and some surfing of the web....if they complain...they should get their on internet service....but check with the Uncle to see if he wants it a Hotspot or a private business net work..

if he really wants them to he can vlan out the wifi to seperate its not that bad :)

if he really wants them to he can vlan out the wifi to seperate its not that bad :)

VLAN it... how does that work?

By the way, I have scheduled to go there tomorrow to install this. I think I'm also going to bring my Buffalo and maybe set it up as a repeater, but I'll check the signal first after I set up the WRT350N :)

VLAN it... how does that work?

By the way, I have scheduled to go there tomorrow to install this. I think I'm also going to bring my Buffalo and maybe set it up as a repeater, but I'll check the signal first after I set up the WRT350N :)

VLAN's are private networks on one device or network. they have been around for a while now, we use multipule Vlan's for seperating voice, data, and exceptional traffic (like police) from other people reaching the other network.

so what will happen is AP A will not see AP B it acts like they're 2 seperate networks.

i know it was a new thing i think when i messed with it last and it didnt work quite well (this was DD-WRT v 21 when i messed with 2 ap ssid's so i'm sure brain had fixed this, or maybe it was just me.... i dont know)

VLAN's are private networks on one device or network. they have been around for a while now, we use multipule Vlan's for seperating voice, data, and exceptional traffic (like police) from other people reaching the other network.

so what will happen is AP A will not see AP B it acts like they're 2 seperate networks.

i know it was a new thing i think when i messed with it last and it didnt work quite well (this was DD-WRT v 21 when i messed with 2 ap ssid's so i'm sure brain had fixed this, or maybe it was just me.... i dont know)

That DEFINITELY sounds interesting. So if I was to set up a WiFi, I would set up that separate, private VLAN, right? :) We don't want them having access to the business's network.

Well just last Thursday I set up the Linksys WRT350N and the signal is pretty good (at least with my wireless N laptop).

I didn't even center the router. It's on one of his counters which is at the EDGE of the room.

Remember, the room is about 75x75 (I should ask him exact dimensions next time). It's an open room with like a dozen jewelry booths (all privately owned).

I did not put DD-WRT on the router yet. I want to make sure it works fine before I risk voiding the warranty.

I also gave him a DD-WRT wireless G router to tuck away... I told him we'll set that up as a repeater sometime maybe after Thxgiving.

Well just last Thursday I set up the Linksys WRT350N and the signal is pretty good (at least with my wireless N laptop).

I didn't even center the router. It's on one of his counters which is at the EDGE of the room.

Remember, the room is about 75x75 (I should ask him exact dimensions next time). It's an open room with like a dozen jewelry booths (all privately owned).

I did not put DD-WRT on the router yet. I want to make sure it works fine before I risk voiding the warranty.

I also gave him a DD-WRT wireless G router to tuck away... I told him we'll set that up as a repeater sometime maybe after Thxgiving.
...so did you have a signal on the other side of the room...if so how strong was it?

Alright guys, the wireless is working great for some but not for one other person.

We're just going to run an ethernet. I'm going to buy a 1000ft reel for my uncle to just have at the business and he's totally for having the extra cabling.

Should I get solid or stranded? I know stranded is more durable.
I'll be running the line through the ceiling (ceiling tiles) and then dropping it down against the wall (probably won't do a professional job by installing wall plates, so should I just go with STRANDED??
I'm going to shop at monoprice.com. Please let me know which I should go for:
Cat6 @ monoprice
Cat5e @ monoprice

tonight ive been browsing routers/specs just cause i havnt looked into them in a while. thanks for the read : )

personally ive only really used stranded as far as i know. ive heard solid isnt so much for just adding ends and making random cables to be tossed around a house (which is why i buy 1k feet myself). setting up our old lan center with 40 computers my dad and i never had a problem with it- if i see him online ill double check with him. solid is more for wall jacks and going in walls where its going to stay put. id just ge the cat5e cause its cheaper, easier to work with, and goes just as fast for most applications.

Cat6 ends up costing roughly $40 more for the 1000ft. I'm wondering if it's worth having for another $40, but it's not like he's on gigabit there, so I guess I'll just stick with 5e after all.

Plus if I'm going to be running random patch cables for them I guess I should just use stranded.

How much of an advantage does solid have as far as transfers though? I'm wondering if I should run a solid cat5e in my place for a 50-60ft run I have to do from the 2nd floor to the attic and then down to the 1st floor.

godm@n make sure if you're running cable through drop ceiling that its plenum rated. i'm not sure if what you're looking for is?

does plenum mean "riser rated"? im not too sure

edit:

i've always had gotten solid 5e, its just the thickness, however, i think stranded would prove maybe a better advantage because of the surface area the electrons have to move. they may be more difficult to punch / crimp however.

godm@n make sure if you're running cable through drop ceiling that its plenum rated. i'm not sure if what you're looking for is?

does plenum mean "riser rated"? im not too sure

edit:

i've always had gotten solid 5e, its just the thickness, however, i think stranded would prove maybe a better advantage because of the surface area the electrons have to move. they may be more difficult to punch / crimp however.

Plenum is the expensive stuff. Why would I have to use that?

Solid 5e isn't as durable... stranded is more durable IIRC.

Back