• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Meltdown at MtGox. Update: 2/28 BANKRUPTCY FILED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
and engaging and stock market speculation will not ? funny guy that one
btw in the 30s all stock market investments were considered "speculative investments" ;)

I can't read the 2nd image of your triple posts...

Best I could do:

Dear MtGox Customers,

In the event of recent news reports and the potential repercussions on MtGox's operations and the market, a decision was taken to close all transactions for the time being in order to protect the site and our users. We will be closely monitoring the situation and will react accordingly.

Best regards,
MtGox Team

I had a bad dream the other night, I saw a BTC exchange fall to its knees... and I saw it try to get back up and brush off its shoulders like nothing happened.... ;)

I think we might have to leave it up to the users themselves to decide to stop messing with gox and move on. Gox looks like they are going to keep struggling until someone comes by and finishes it.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Mt. Gox had received a subpoena from federal prosecutors in New York

Feb 26 (Reuters) - Japanese authorities are looking into the abrupt closure of Mt. Gox, the top government spokesman said on Wednesday in Tokyo's first official reaction to the turmoil at what was the world's biggest exchange for bitcoin virtual currency.

"At this stage the relevant financial authorities, the police, the Finance Ministry and others are gathering information on the case," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a regular news conference when asked about Tuesday's shutdown of the Tokyo-based exchange.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/02/26/bitcoin-mtgox-japan-idINT9N0LP00020140226

Wait wait, did he really use the term "soon-ish" How old is this guy?

And with that said, "We are currently at a turning point". Hes talking about turning the key over right?

I had a bad dream the other night, I saw a BTC exchange fall to its knees... and I saw it try to get back up and brush off its shoulders like nothing happened.... ;)

Stop being so worried, no matter where you go in the world, there will always be a scammers around. In the case, Mt. Gox is looking more and more like a huge scam, and its peoples own stupidity that made it so great.

Oh look, Mt. Gox is 100 to 200$ above market value, lets put out bitcoins in there and sell.. Oh ****.. You mean it takes a month to get my money? What do you mean the transaction failed, and so on...

By far the worst part of Mt. Gox, was the huge amounts of personal sensitive info you had to give them to make a user, thats what put me 100% off, and i am happy today that i use BTC-E when i do have to make a transaction. Yes it takes a few days, and the fees may be a bit high, but i get my money!

Last edited:
+1 the requirements is what put me off. coinbase has been working great for me i do all my trading with cryptsy and any btc i get i transfer there, if / when i decide i want to sell them for usd i have money in my bank account in 2-3 days.

glad to see btc is back up to 580, its been on a steady incline since yesterday :)

Stop being so worried, no matter where you go in the world, there will always be a scammers around. In the case, Mt. Gox is looking more and more like a huge scam, and its peoples own stupidity that made it so great.

Oh look, Mt. Gox is 100 to 200$ above market value, lets put out bitcoins in there and sell.. Oh ****.. You mean it take a month to get my money? What do you mean the transaction failed, and so on...

By far the worst part of Mt. Gox, was the huge amounts of personal sensitive info you had to give them to make a user, thats what put me 100% off, and i am happy today that i use BTC-E when i do have to make a transaction. Yes it takes a few days, and the fees may be a bit high, but i get my money!

I wasn't worried, just saying politely, I'm tired of this Gox sh*t. :)

But yeah, it was too good to be true. $200 more than the average price of BTC? Clearly something was different about them, and a lot of people fell for it.

February 26th 2014

Dear MtGox Customers,

As there is a lot of speculation regarding MtGox and its future, I would like to use this opportunity to reassure everyone that I am still in Japan, and working very hard with the support of different parties to find a solution to our recent issues.

Furthermore I would like to kindly ask that people refrain from asking questions to our staff: they have been instructed not to give any response or information. Please visit this page for further announcements and updates.

Sincerely,
Mark Karpeles

The ship is sinking.

I am reminded of a story about a small Cruise ship, called Costa Concordia.

Hit a rock, DID NOT ask for help, sank halfway, is still refusing to die! But soon it shall be torn to pieces and forever be no more.

Looks like BTC is climbing out of the hole. I see about $580 averaged at Preev.com

:) has tapped $600 on coinbase a few times im a happy man today, hoping this nice incline continues... back to 850 plx <3

Back