• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Meltdown at MtGox. Update: 2/28 BANKRUPTCY FILED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This was on the front page of my local news paper today. The cashier at the gas station I go to regularly knows Im into cryptos and he pointed it out to me when I went by a little while ago. He firmly believes that mark has run off with the money and the yakuza is gonna cut him up into little pieces. I almost loled about it. Seriously though I really wish this would be finished. BTC is trying desperately to recover right now, and it just cant seem to make any real ground. Every couple of up ticks some new rumor surfaces and brings it back down. I have purchased 1.86 BTC in the last week and Im planning to drop all but 0.7BTC the minute it hits $800+ again.

So, Bitcoins dont pop up often in the new here in Denmark, but today, it was the main topic on the morning radio.

A lot of bull**** fact were handed out, and the idiot expert only lived by Mt.Gox rate. What a fool!

Anyway, he said that the Japanese national bank has annouced it will not cover loses that have been done to Mt.Gox users.

That said, the guy on the Radio said its very unsafe and you could lose your bitcoins at anytime if the exchanges crash. Fact, keep it in YOUR WALLET, and you shall be fine.

Scare tactics, but big investors will jump in the pool sooon as this blows over in a few months, and i am sure we will see BTC raise in value once more.

Now, on to a statement on BTC-e.

BTC-e said:
Dear BTC-e.com participants,

We are concerned by MtGox shutdown and would like to assure you that:

1. MtGox losses do not affect account balances or the operation of BTC-e in any way.

2. We confirm the Bitcoin system operation and its exciting prospects, and MtGox bankruptcy has not been caused by any underlying technical problems of Bitcoin. Bitcoin international peer-to-peer network and cryptocurrency are independent of actions of a single market participant. Bitcoin protocol continues to function exactly as it should. The cryptocurrency maintains its stability and the network will continue to develop and exist as long as required by its users.

3. At BTC-e we are constantly monitoring Bitcoin accounts and FIAT reserves. At BTC-e we continue to maintain all clients’ assets in full – both Bitcoin and FIAT.

4. BTC-е has no vulnerabilities during client transactions as we use safe and proven transaction protocols. All transaction issues reported by our clients undergo a thorough check.

For me, it seems like part 2, simple states, that Mt.Gox was an inside job, and a global scam.

For me, it seems like part 2, simple states, that Mt.Gox was an inside job, and a global scam.

That's not how it read for me. Sounds more like they're seeing a large number of users pull their balances out of their exchange and are hoping to alleviate (warranted) concerns that have arisen from the Gox fiasco.

That's not how it read for me. Sounds more like they're seeing a large number of users pull their balances out of their exchange and are hoping to alleviate (warranted) concerns that have arisen from the Gox fiasco.

I was concerned with the part where Mt.Gox have claimed its a floor in Bitcoin thats lead to the downfall of said place. If Mt.Gox has that issue, why wouldnt everyone else. The inside job being that Mt.Gox has stolen the bitcoins from them selves.

how it reads to me is that they are just saying the reason for the MtGox fiasco is NOT due to a problem with BTC itself. They arent outright saying that MtGox did this as an "inside job" but rather, they were ultimately responsible for their own problems (be it poor money/business handling, or whatever)

One step closer to getting rid of the evil monkey. When this is finally over Im gonna be ecstatic. Im sitting on ~2BTC right now id love to see its value grow. Daddy needs some new PC gear.

OT but please don't support gawker sites by linking to them. There are plenty of much better sites on the interest to get news from. Here's an alternate link:

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...tcoins-mtgox-files-for-bankruptcy-protection/

I got fed up of seeing click bait from gawker along with a bunch of horribad site redesigns a few years back. It's alright though because they never really post anything original anyway. ;)

im glad mtgox is out of the picture. their site was garbage anyway.

right now im looking at my balance on cryptsy, it seems like after mining for a while, i reach 0.32 btc. then the next day, its 0.30. mine some more btc and see it back at 0.32. then i see it fall back down to 0.32.

im sure that if i keep this up, i might reach 0.40 or more.

no idea what gawker is just seen the article lol thanks for the heads up.

The problem I see is that the same people will pop up somewhere running another exchange one day. There is no way for them to be "flagged" as the people behind mtgox other than word of mouth. It will be a while but they will be back again.

The problem I see is that the same people will pop up somewhere running another exchange one day. There is no way for them to be "flagged" as the people behind mtgox other than word of mouth. It will be a while but they will be back again.

Maybe not, I read somewhere that the CEOs own journal said "I never finish anything I start." He might move on to other things.

Back