• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless networking between 2 houses?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I jsut think in some places breaking 2.475GHz is illegal..... .not sure though as i live in Japan.

FarEast said:
I jsut think in some places breaking 2.475GHz is illegal..... .not sure though as i live in Japan.
Yup, you guys get 13 channels, US / Canada get only 11 :(

You don't have to worry about creating an antenna that can use the extra two channels, as the device it's connected to should only use channels 1-11 unless it's set in world mode.

i figured out what it ment my frequence in the (Cutoff Frequency for TM01 (undesired) mode) was 1.507 ghz and they say it should be above 2.475 ghz i found a 3 5/16 inch can which suits the calucations better then my 6 inch can so im gonna use it to creat my cantenna does that sound good

Edit: i asked one on my neighbors (the one who onwed the tree that was blocking my line of site if i could cut off a few branches to give me a line of site and he said yes so now we have a line of site

Last edited:
If the low budget homemade can antennas don't handle it, and you're willing to spend around $50 per site, check out this company for factory-made high-gain directional and omni outdoor antennas for wifi. I bought their $75 mag grid parabolic 24dBi antenna, since my ISP is wireless, and their tower is 5 miles away. I do have line-of-sight from my rooftop to the tower, and get 11Mbps to the tower with 90% signal strength and 50-60% signal quality.

Yeah it sure does... :p

but they're pretty rugged for outdoor weather and have good signal gain too. I like the cylinder-shaped yagi's for short distances myself. They look like a factory made pringles can, but they're actaually yagi's inside the tube, not can-reflectors. For sheer brute antenna power, nothing beats the parabolic grids, but they are large and ugly. Mine looks pretty hokey up on a 35 foot pole next to my house.

Back