• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless router vs Wireless Access point

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

From my basic understanding an access point is just if i want to add wireless to my current network and dont need to run any wires off of it... where as an router i can run more wires off of it...

Basically im trying to run 2 like points in my house (separate ends with overlap) so i never loose wireless signal. Just trying to get an idea of what to buy..

i was thinking something like :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XXMUCQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWXBONHVNQ00F

Well i was thinking that.. its 200 ft more... where i could do 2 400ft'er and cover the whole house.. problem is i can be on one side of the house and it gets to about the master bedroom and stops.. Now i could center it in the house but then it doesnt quite reach the edges of the bedroom.

They cost a bit. I just plugged in an old router and told it to be an access point. :shrug:
It bypassed everything and played ball :)

But I did wire the two routers... Is it not possible wireless? I had no need to check as I wanted wired.

If you're wanting to hardwire the second device, you can use either an access point, or a normal router in access point mode (most have this functionality). If you want to use your second device wirelessly, I think you'll need a wireless repeater. You can probably buy the devices, but I think you can use a compatible router with DD-WRT (or another similar open source firmware) to do this.

If you're wanting to hardwire the second device, you can use either an access point, or a normal router in access point mode (most have this functionality). If you want to use your second device wirelessly, I think you'll need a wireless repeater. You can probably buy the devices, but I think you can use a compatible router with DD-WRT (or another similar open source firmware) to do this.

+1
Grab a router with wifi, throw DD-WRT on it, follow this guide, and you're good to go.

If you notice connection drops, try reducing the TX power in the wifi settings on the DD-WRT router.

From my basic understanding an access point is just if i want to add wireless to my current network and dont need to run any wires off of it... where as an router i can run more wires off of it...
To clarify on this since I don't see anyone mentioning it: A router, as the name implies, routes traffic (meaning it has NAT enabled). An access point is simply a node for wireless devices to connect to. It doesn't do any sort of routing and acts like a switch. Both require a network cable to get to your network.

A bridge will connect to other wireless networks and can extend your range, but it cuts the theoretical bandwidth in half for each jump.

Unless your house is massive, I'd suggest replacing whatever you have with something that is good. Most wireless routers can be in either "router mode", "access point mode", or "bridge mode". The last is less common, but almost all should do the first two.

To clarify on this since I don't see anyone mentioning it: A router, as the name implies, routes traffic (meaning it has NAT enabled). An access point is simply a node for wireless devices to connect to. It doesn't do any sort of routing and acts like a switch. Both require a network cable to get to your network.

A bridge will connect to other wireless networks and can extend your range, but it cuts the theoretical bandwidth in half for each jump.

Unless your house is massive, I'd suggest replacing whatever you have with something that is good. Most wireless routers can be in either "router mode", "access point mode", or "bridge mode". The last is less common, but almost all should do the first two.

Thats what i was looking to hear...

Just change the IP address to something that doesn't conflict and turn off DHCP to turn a router into an AP.

Back