• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

witch would be the better sedt up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ravenous_draven

Registered
witch would be the better set up

G.SKILL Extreme Series 512MB (2 x 256MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 550 (PC 4400) Unbuffered Samsung TCCD Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model F1-3200DSU2-512LE - Retail
or 2
CORSAIR XMS 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model CMX512-3200XL - Retail

would would be better to have ?

Last edited:
Which G-Skills are you referring to exactly because I have never heard of Extreme Series, but either way G-Skill will still run over any TCC5 like XL's.

Now I would like to apologize to my RAM :D

What's your budget for RAM? Staying out of the windows pagefile is a lot more important than either your memory clock or your timings. The disk is roughly ten zillion times slower than any RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Hence, you first want to concentrate on getting enough RAM, then worry about the frequency and latencies.

Here's good link on how much difference fancy RAM actually makes.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1475190&enterthread=y

If your choices are limited to 2x256 or 1x512, and you're going to keep this rig for a while and do more with it than benchmark, I recommend the single 512. You won't have dual channel, but you're probably going to want at least 2x512MB eventually. Getting a single stick of something popular enough that you can get another later will be a cheaper path to 1GB.

Back