• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woah: 3GHz on 4800 X2...on air!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Otter said:
I agree. The point isn't that it's a toaster. And it isn't that these 2.8GHz air OC's indicate the overclocker has god-like powers either. The point is that even with two cores, the X2s are poking their noses into Venice and SD territory, and yes, we can hope for more. :)
Exactly.

I just see it as a confirmation that the K8's aren't heat-limited. For P4's you can often get more out of a core just by chucking more cooling on it and leaving the voltage more or less alone. So, for the dual-core P4's, they're very heat-limited. Crank them up and they'll start thermal-throttling unless you have serious cooling. For K8's extra cooling doesn't really do that much unless you're going for high voltages. So you'd expect, unless AMD has actually hit the wall, that dual-core chips would clock to around the same point as their single-core ones (though obviously slightly lower as BOTH cores must be capable of that speed).

So yes, the 2.8GHz stable datapoint is interesting. I couldn't care less about the unstable datapoint though, but I've never really given a damn about unstable overclocks (can't see the point).

emboss said:
So yes, the 2.8GHz stable datapoint is interesting. I couldn't care less about the unstable datapoint though, but I've never really given a damn about unstable overclocks (can't see the point).
The point is showing what the chip is capable of with better cooling, unless you have reached the transistor limit of the CPU, which I doubt you can get on air.

Ok, I am now lost in this conversation. Are we having a mature conversation over AMDx2 only hits 2.8 on air? Or are we having a Mature conversation about the fact that the AMDx2 hit 2.8 on air, which is equal to more than an Intel 4.8?

If we are conversing that it only hit 2.8 on Air, then I agree. It doesn't sound very fast.

If we are conversing that AMD's rating system, that has never been argued before, rates it at around 5.0Ghz, then I disagree. That's pretty impressive.

Jakalwarrior said:
When multithreaded games come out it could get really fun.

yea well isnt that how SLI works? SLI allows one board to do half the screens graphics.. and the other takes care of the other side.. or in that idel methood.. im not exactly sure how it all works.. once they can use thje dual core to write it to run one side and the other side id make games run ALOT faster i bet :)

EspElement said:
yea well isnt that how SLI works? SLI allows one board to do half the screens graphics.. and the other takes care of the other side.. or in that idel methood.. im not exactly sure how it all works.. once they can use thje dual core to write it to run one side and the other side id make games run ALOT faster i bet :)

That's a very good point.

LoneWolf121188 said:
The point is showing what the chip is capable of with better cooling, unless you have reached the transistor limit of the CPU, which I doubt you can get on air.

I'd say the chances of reaching the transistor limit for reasonable voltages on an A64 with an XP90 with a 120CFM fan are pretty high. You might get a bit more out of it with phase change and a significantly higher voltage, but it's certainly not gauranteed. I certainly don't think there's a strong correlation between the maximum stable overclock on, say, phase-change and the maximum unstable overclock on ultra-high-end air.

However, I suppose my point was more directed at the OPB's of the world where they get 4GHz (unstable) out of a K8 on cascade phase change and the like. While I find the cooling setup an interesting engineering acheivement, I don't find the fact that they managed to get a screenshot at 4GHz a particularily earth-shattering. I'd be much more interested if they concentrated on the STABLE record, for a given definition of stable.

emboss said:
I don't see the point either. It's interesting to the overclocker himself, of course, at least until he's tried everything to get the higher OC stable and failed. But it's not as if the rest of us are going to run out and buy a 4800 X2 to make our own 3GHz screenshots.

Well, most of us won't anyway. ;)

Back