• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont post with 4 ram sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dirtyp

Registered
Just bought a ECS Black series 780 ultra and a 620 x2. I put two pairs of kingston ram from other pcs and it will only post with one set. One is 2 gb 667 the other I believe is 1 gb 533. It wouldnt boot with three either. I cant remeber now but I think I tried both sets seperate and it wouldnt read the 2 gb set. Let me double check.

Awaiting results.

Chances are you'll get less performance with more RAM and slower clocks than running the two 667 sticks by themselves. Do you really have software that requires, or even recommends, 3 GB over 2 Gb?

And isn't the 620 an X4 ...???

yeah x4 athlon 2. I really do want my 6 gigs of ram:burn:

So I got it to work with all 4 when I changed memory speeds in bios to 266mhz. Looking at the memory in sisandra its all kingston ddr 666. I cant figure why it will only boot at 266? Is this what you mean by more ram slower speeds? If so that blows. All the timings are the same if that matters any.

What were your results when you tried the sets by themselves?

Running mismatched sticks has always been an issue and usually requires a compromise. If the sticks were all the same you might get by with it - assuming the power chips on your board can handle it. Have you tried running very loose timings ...?

"So I got it to work with all 4 when I changed memory speeds in bios to 266mhz."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the slowest running modules dictate final running speed, frankly, i am surprised they work when are put all together...

266 x 2 = 533 runnings.....

definately taking a performance hit on the mems this way....

matched mems make life mucho easier....

laterzzzz............

Back